Going on my first clipless ride tomorrow morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Had a couple of almost falls, both navigating shared use crossings on big roads, both times caught myself on the fence so fortunately not as embarrassing as it could be.
You might find it easier to simply dismount before negotiating, especially where there are fences to slow and just walk the bike across! It’ll hurt if you fall there as you’ll likely get tangled with the bike (you do not want to land on a drop handlebar...damhikt)

T675Rich

You might find it easier to simply dismount before negotiating, especially where there are fences to slow and just walk the bike across! It’ll hurt if you fall there as you’ll likely get tangled with the bike (you do not want to land on a drop handlebar...damhikt)

Yea, I don't often have to use them on my normal route so I didn't really think. The only problem I have with dismounting is I'm so inflexible that getting my leg over the seat is hilarious for anyone who sees it..:tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yea, I don't often have to use them on my normal route so I didn't really think. The only problem I have with dismounting is I'm so inflexible that getting my leg over the seat is hilarious for anyone who sees it..:tongue:
Not as ‘hilarious’ as ending up with bike parts in your genitals ;)

You need to work on your flexibility. Pilates and regular stretching :okay:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
13 years clipless and I've never had a 'clipless moment', even when I had bolt issues with a cleat and was coming to a stop unable to unclip (as the shoe turned with my foot but the cleat wasn't turning with it!). I just pulled up alongside a lamppost an leaned on it until I could loosen the straps on the shoe and get my foot out!

Mind you, I've just put new SPD-SL pedals on as my old pair were so worn that my feet were moving about even at the tightest setting. On setting off this morning, I found it almost impossible to clip in without putting my full weight on one foot - so I did wonder if I'd have to stop and wouldn't get unclipped in time. (Serves me right for not checking & adjusting them before using them for the first time.)

Made it to work OK though, but I'm going to loosen off the springs tonight before I set off for home!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Try riding a Full suspension MTB, and given the suspension design, and the fact the BB is high as it is, trying to get your leg over an unweighted MTB is bloody hard work. Thank got for the dropper seat post, especially when tired. Long standing back injury affects my flexibility after an hour or two on the MTB. The dropper is a life saver.

Thomson

Still loving the clip less peddles tho . I use the flat peddles bike just for work. Chain snapped yesterday so took the good bike in to work just with trainers tho. Guy at work really into his cycling. Full Lycra etc. Said why I didn’t have my cycling shoes on. I said my commutes only 2.9miles it takes me about half off that just to clip in. Haha.

vickster

Legendary Member
Still loving the clip less peddles tho . I use the flat peddles bike just for work. Chain snapped yesterday so took the good bike in to work just with trainers tho. Guy at work really into his cycling. Full Lycra etc. Said why I didn’t have my cycling shoes on. I said my commutes only 2.9miles it takes me about half off that just to clip in. Haha.
Pedals are better for cycling :whistle:

jonSX

13 years clipless and I've never had a 'clipless moment', even when I had bolt issues with a cleat and was coming to a stop unable to unclip (as the shoe turned with my foot but the cleat wasn't turning with it!). I just pulled up alongside a lamppost an leaned on it until I could loosen the straps on the shoe and get my foot out!

I've had this happen to me.

I would recommend always checking your cleats are not loose before a ride.

DSK

I also went out for the first time with cleats (and on a bike after 20 years!) and its interesting to read contributors comments.

Mine seem to slot in OK but come undone almost without any effort. I didn't have feet flying off the pedals at all whilst riding though. I have to admit, from memory pedalling wasn't even a passing thought whereas years ago I remember focusing on how much effort was being lost with normal pedals.

ChrisPAmbulance

Did a cross race the day after buying my first set 30 years ago, I would not advise others do the same.

Lucky B*. I set up my new clipless arrangement one evening and rode about 7 miles near home without a problem so I thought I'd be OK.

The next day I went on a 50 mile sportive, everything was going so well I completely forgot about the clips until I reached the feed station at a gravel car park in Nantwich and CRASH!!

Other riders gathered round me with looks of concern over their faces. One wag summed the moment up completely - "First time yup. You'll find that you are more embarrassed than hurt, and just to make sure, we're all going to gather round you and laugh" - and they did.

I'd learned my lesson hadn't I. But no, three miles further down the road and CRASH!! again, now in front of heavy traffic at a junction. This time I suffered the utter humiliation of being stuck under the bike with my lower foot still clipped in and having no way to twist it out, I was trapped. The driver of the 4x4 immediately behind completely failed to show his serious concern for me, sitting there revving his engine whilst I struggled like an overturned turtle there on the tarmac.

Eventually I managed to extricate myself and retired to the side of the road to pick gravel out of my knees.

It's a day I will never forget. Well, probably only about once a year on current averages - I'm due for one fairly soon, so listen for the CRASH!!.

oldwinger14

I bought Look Keos prior to the Winter and mounted them on my bike before attaching it to my smart trainer. Got use to using them all Winter in my basement. Felt pretty confident using them but on my first ride outdoors, I stayed right in my neighborhood and rode slowly practicing clipping in/out dozens of times before I went on a "real" ride. Since then, I have taken two minor dumps, both my fault. One was when I was at a complete stop. Forgot I was clipped in!

simongt

Guru
Was behind a young lady riding a quality road bike on Friday. The bike had toestraps and I noticed that she had trouble getting her left foot back into the strap after taking off from a set of lights. :blush: Now that's why I converted to clipless - ! ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Was behind a young lady riding a quality road bike on Friday. The bike had toestraps and I noticed that she had trouble getting her left foot back into the strap after taking off from a set of lights. :blush: Now that's why I converted to clipless - ! ^_^
You’ve clearly never been behind a MAMIL trying to get away from lights while haphazardly to clip into an SPD-SL :unsure:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
The same as me.
Right handed and unclip with the right, push off with the left.
Right handed,right footed always unclip left foot first and clip in with left foot first.I’m all over the place if I try to unclip right first.
I started clipless riding on MTBs around 2000/2001 and never had a moment and always unclipped even on some big DH crashes.I think I’ve tried them all.SPDs/SPD-SL,Eggbeaters,Time,Speedplay.
Currently have SPDs on the CX and Look Keo on the road bike but am putting SPD-SL on the new build:okay:

Top Bottom