Going phishing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freakhatz

Recently I received the following email and think it must be phishing? I haven't attempted to log on through the link given..

[A well-known building society]

Dear Valued Customer,

We recently notices[sic] one or more attempts to log in your account from a foreign IP address and we have reason to believe that your account was hacked by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while travelling, the unusual log in attempts may have [been] initiated by you.

However if you are the rightfull[sic] holder of the account please click on the log on button below and verify your account information.
Failure to verify your information will lead to the temporary suspension of your account online for security reasons.

Regards
[A well-known building society]

ps I have sent the email back to the building society, to an address I got from their genuine website. No reply as yet..

Am I being paranoid?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Definitely phishing. I can't imagine any bank would communicate by email.

radger

Veteran
a good giveaway that an email is phishing is that they don't use your name - rather 'dear customer', or 'dear valued customer' etc. the link won't actually go to the building society's site either, although it will look like it.
check your bank's website to see if they ask for suspect emails to be forwarded to them

ChrisKH

Guru
I received an electronic phone call in a robotic voice from my credit card issuer asking me to phone them on a specific number. It sounded very phishy. However when I contacted the bank on another number I knew to be correct, I found my card had been cloned and they were trying to contact me to confirm the last genuine transaction. According to them as I was on the phone, persons unknown were attempting to download Itunes and buy mobile phones.

Why not ring me personally rather than leave an obviously machine generated robotic message which sounds well dodgy? I very nearly didn't respond as I thought it was some computer generated fraud from Nigeria (or Peckham).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ChrisKH said:
I received an electronic phone call in a robotic voice from my credit card issuer asking me to phone them on a specific number. It sounded very phishy. However when I contacted the bank on another number I knew to be correct, I found my card had been cloned and they were trying to contact me to confirm the last genuine transaction. According to them as I was on the phone, persons unknown were attempting to download Itunes and buy mobile phones.

Why not ring me personally rather than leave an obviously machine generated robotic message which sounds well dodgy? I very nearly didn't respond as I thought it was some computer generated fraud from Nigeria (or Peckham).
Good point. Following recent overspending (:smile::wacko::angry:) I got a call from my bank, or rather someone with a strong Glaswegian accent purporting to be from my bank. "Mr Fnaar (blah blah, I'm from the bank); I have the first part of your postcode, can you tell me the second?"
it was very weird, and I was very distrustful, until he gave me his name, so I could ring back via normal channels and get through to him again. It was for real, but a weird way to contact folk, given the amount of phishing that DOES go on....

Slim

Über Member
While we're on the subject...

Keep an eye out for phishing attempts supposedly from Paypal.

I had a very authentic looking mail the other day. The suspicious bit is the return EMail address looked nothing like a Paypal address.

The mail was passed on to Paypal who confirmed it was duff and passed it on to their counter-fraud dept.

Keep 'em peeled :smile:

If you don't trust it get in touch with the company it is purportedly from. NEVER risk it.

On a more comical side I work for a well known department store at the weekends, and lost my staff credit card. Some little weed found it, and knowing that it is only a signature card (because they used to be an employee) tried to buy over £1300 worth of suits on it.

Being a student, and only working there one day a week, my credit limit is a whopping £12 as I have never bothered to ring them and ask for it to be raised to something sensible. But the card is a very nice Gold Level staffcard, as I have worked here for 3 and a half years and have done a couple of courses to increase my pay, so it looks like a Gold Level unlimited card mwahahahahaha.

They were not working for the company for long after that transaction got busted ;)

Top Bottom