Going Singlespeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well finally giving up Fixed Gear Riding as my Doc insists it's not helping my arthritic knees any longer

So

Have taken the plunge and won an old Raleigh Road Bike on the 'Bay which I'm going to convert to singlespeed with a few parts I've already got and a few new parts too, may even head deep in the Territory of the 'Darkside and fit a rack for Panniers too....!!!!!!

Well I collect the bike tomorrow evening and then the fun of converting can begin.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I went back to a freewheel after having knee problems riding fixed, I just used (about) 5" lower gear than the fixed was.
So......rack & panniers, eh........you might even put mudguards on & have a dry bum......:laugh:

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
I went back to a freewheel after having knee problems riding fixed, I just used (about) 5" lower gear than the fixed was.
So......rack & panniers, eh........you might even put mudguards on & have a dry bum......:laugh:

thanks for the advice on the Gearing might give that a try as to mudguards...Rack only not enough Bosses on the frame.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru

Attachments

• 13891758754_b2f007f2d1.jpg
    13891758754_b2f007f2d1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 40

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well you're progressing your build a lot quicker than I did!

Looking forward to seeing the end result. What crank / cog tooth combination are you going for?

kloeshuman

Looks like it will be a sweet bike, great find

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Don't suppose you want to sell the chainset do you?

Stu that's possible but at moment bike at LBS having Cranks and BB Removed I gave up borrowed tools which happened to be the wrong ones.
don't know the tooth sizes of Chain rings till I get them back but the rear was a 6 speed. Message me with what you'd like from it and we'll see about price and posting etc.

Well you're progressing your build a lot quicker than I did!

Looking forward to seeing the end result. What crank / cog tooth combination are you going for?

Joey thanks...had a few parts lying around from my previous Fixed Gear Builds. But Crank removal has slowed me up still on the plus side Rear Wheel should be here after Easter.
Going for a 48:18 gear with the Freewheel a tooth down on the rear from the fixed Gear I was using.

kaiseris

Regular
Well finally giving up Fixed Gear Riding as my Doc insists it's not helping my arthritic knees any longer

So

Have taken the plunge and won an old Raleigh Road Bike on the 'Bay which I'm going to convert to singlespeed with a few parts I've already got and a few new parts too, may even head deep in the Territory of the 'Darkside and fit a rack for Panniers too....!!!!!!
I wonder why you haven't converted your fixie to SS. It should be doable with little effort and cost less.

Top Bottom