Going Singlespeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Will Aksiums be alright for commuting with?

edit - assuming you are commuting, not riding for pleasure?

It's only an Aksium on the front seemed ok on my fixed so just transferred it over not sure but are they a tempremental or troubled wheel then ?

Looks a good SS build like it!
What freewheel are you using?
Cheers it's only a cheapo Dicta saving for a White Industries one

Last edited:

format

Über Member
It's only an Aksium on the front seemed ok on my fixed so just transferred it over not sure but are they a tempremental or troubled wheel then ?

Just been told by various bike mecs that they maybe aren't the strongest of wheels (low spoke count etc), although though they are very light and fast. I have them on my road bike but wouldn't feel comfortable using them on the roads round here every day of the week. You could well be okay if it's just the front, I guess.

I'm quite heavy tbf, too.

Sharky

Guru

I've been using Dicta free wheels for a few years and not had any problems. But as my wheel is a flip/flop hub, I always have a fixed cog on the other side to get me home if needed.

Keith

very smart, I like that a lot.

my only concern would be the gear lever bosses, I would probably cap them but that's only my humble opinion

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
very smart, I like that a lot.

my only concern would be the gear lever bosses, I would probably cap them but that's only my humble opinion
Thanks am pleased with how it turned out.

I've got Countersunk Caphead Bolts in them at present although am thinking of refitting the Shifters if I don't sell them....don't really want to cut the bosses off..never a good look !!!!!
and makes it unable to refit gears at later date.

Thanks am pleased with how it turned out.

I've got Countersunk Caphead Bolts in them at present although am thinking of refitting the Shifters if I don't sell them....don't really want to cut the bosses off..never a good look !!!!!
and makes it unable to refit gears at later date.

I was thinking of the downtube cable guides that convert the bosses when STI levers are used, it wasn't really a suggestion as its your bike - its just something I noticed.

very smart bike

cbs

Just been told by various bike mecs that they maybe aren't the strongest of wheels (low spoke count etc), although though they are very light and fast. I have them on my road bike but wouldn't feel comfortable using them on the roads round here every day of the week. You could well be okay if it's just the front, I guess.

I'm quite heavy tbf, too.

My wife's Scott came with Aksiums as standard and we have found them to be a very solid wheel, still true after many miles. Better IMO than the DT Swiss wheels on my bike, although my loss of a front spoke nipple was probably a result of a bad build.

To the OP, that's a lovely looking bike and something I want to do myself one day. Out of interest, how much did you pay for the bike? From what I have seen on eBay, there aren't really any bargains available, as sellers either label them as "retro" or "fixie project" and hike the price as a result. I guess you just have to set a budget and stick to it, whilst being patient until the right one comes along...

kaiseris

Regular
Found good usage out of sturmy archer freewheels my current one has been on for over 2000 miles
About £15 off eBay.
Good to know that those aren't bad. When I was buying one there was literally no info about them on internet. But somehow I thought that it must be better than Dicta which sadly gets poor feedback.
Ridden very few kilometers with it, so far so good.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
My wife's Scott came with Aksiums as standard and we have found them to be a very solid wheel, still true after many miles. Better IMO than the DT Swiss wheels on my bike, although my loss of a front spoke nipple was probably a result of a bad build.

To the OP, that's a lovely looking bike and something I want to do myself one day. Out of interest, how much did you pay for the bike? From what I have seen on eBay, there aren't really any bargains available, as sellers either label them as "retro" or "fixie project" and hike the price as a result. I guess you just have to set a budget and stick to it, whilst being patient until the right one comes along...

Thanks I got it off the 'Bay for £80 quite a few come up try searching with vintage bike or frame in your search....also Boot Sales can be another good source seen a few with good prices too but never in my size
Cheers for the Aksium advice it seems a good wheel but do have another wheel as a spare just in case.

Top Bottom