Going Singlespeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Arthritic knees Doc's say no to fixed but cog on there just in case of Freewheel Failure...... (Belt & Braces type of Cyclist me....!!!! )

What does the doc know, no-body said grind !!!;) It will do em good.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My wife's Scott came with Aksiums as standard and we have found them to be a very solid wheel, still true after many miles. Better IMO than the DT Swiss wheels on my bike, although my loss of a front spoke nipple was probably a result of a bad build.

To the OP, that's a lovely looking bike and something I want to do myself one day. Out of interest, how much did you pay for the bike? From what I have seen on eBay, there aren't really any bargains available, as sellers either label them as "retro" or "fixie project" and hike the price as a result. I guess you just have to set a budget and stick to it, whilst being patient until the right one comes along...
I got into retro cycles about 20yrs ago when I decided that perhaps my 68 Carlton Clubman (inherited from my cousin) was getting a bit long in the tooth for riding every day, after the wrap over seat stays parted company from the top tube (re-brazed by Sid Mottram). Back then old bikes could be picked up for next to or even nothing as no-one wanted them anymore. Cycle shops back then used to laugh at me buying new parts for em saying they could sell me a nice shiny new Crackaminium bike for less than I was spending on wheels gears cranks etc now they have become "fashionable" and the comments I get are always positive. The downside is that now prices have rocketed but bargains can still be found just not on flea-bay, best place to look is old-style second hand (junk) shops which often have a row of rusty BSOs outside but sometimes there's a gem amongst them. I've sometimes had to walk away knowing that my other half would hit the roof if I bought another "project" (11 bikes in the sheds but 2 of em are for her) Good luck in hunting one down, they are out there.

philtalksbx

Über Member
There are also frames available on ebay. My last project was a Dawes Spectra in Reynolds 501. Couldn't resist as it was the right size with horizontal dropouts, no derailleur hanger and strap-on shifters on the downtube so no bosses to cut or worry about. That made for a very clean look. Rusty as hell I paid £45 but after powder coating it is a beauty. There are bargains out there but patience is key.

I run 40-16 which is lovely around town but maybe a little short. Next change will be a 42 crank to see how that feels.

As for freewheels, the White Evo is worth it in my book. Had bad experiences with worn and noisy Dicta and Shimano. The White is silent whilst pedalling and sings whilst coasting.

It's addictive this SS conversion lark isn't it?

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
It certainly is addictive !!!
Just having a play around with set ups..... Trying this for days out minimalish' kit nowt on my back let the bike carry the lot.

14051837511_cd994bb6ed_c.jpg

yet another Front Wheel from the Collection 24 Spokes this time a few more than the Aksium but also have a proper Old Skool 36 Spoke Heading my way.

Andyg63

It certainly is addictive !!!
Just having a play around with set ups..... Trying this for days out minimalish' kit nowt on my back let the bike carry the lot.

14051837511_cd994bb6ed_c.jpg

yet another Front Wheel from the Collection 24 Spokes this time a few more than the Aksium but also have a proper Old Skool 36 Spoke Heading my way.

screenman

Legendary Member
Would it not have been better for the knee's to stay with gears? More options for the different conditions we cyclist encounter.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Would it not have been better for the knee's to stay with gears? More options for the different conditions we cyclist encounter.

Have a Geared Road Bike and Mountainbike too, just you can never have too many bikes and do like the Singlegear option for a chilled out day

screenman

Legendary Member
Have a Geared Road Bike and Mountainbike too, just you can never have too many bikes and do like the Singlegear option for a chilled out day
Got to agree with you on that, I have 6 now hanging up all ready to ride, the rack is starting to look like a bike shop again, I sold quite a few a while back and said I was never going to have more than 2 again.

Top Bottom