Going to try a self build.... Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
Hi, I have a complete Sora 9 speed groupset and would like to buy a cheap frame and have a go at a self build. I also have wheels, seatpost, stem and handlebars.
I have just looked at this

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFFDP/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset
Would this look daft with a Sora groupset ?
What does it mean when it says does not include headset, is that just the bearings and spacers it is referring to?

Will this frame take my braze on FD or will it be band on.

Is this a good buy? Any other places to look. What else might I need apart from cables ?

Thanks in advance

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Having just bought one I can vouch that it is an excellent frameset and well worth the money. Of course it won't look daft with a Sora groupset, if you're happy with that and intend to keep it then do so.

You will need a headset with 45/45 degree bearings, I use an FSA Orbit CE but Planet X also list there own one on their website. To fit the headset you'll need an expanding bung for the steerer tube rather than a star nut as the tube is carbon fibre and you'll need to buy spacers (Cheap as chips). The frame needs a band on front mech.

Everything else should just swap over, though check the size of your seatpost as you'll need a 31.6mm for the PX.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Having just bought one I can vouch that it is an excellent frameset and well worth the money. Of course it won't look daft with a Sora groupset, if you're happy with that and intend to keep it then do so.

You will need a headset with 45/45 degree bearings, I use an FSA Orbit CE but Planet X also list there own one on their website. To fit the headset you'll need an expanding bung for the steerer tube rather than a star nut as the tube is carbon fibre and you'll need to buy spacers (Cheap as chips). The frame needs a band on front mech.

Everything else should just swap over, though check the size of your seatpost as you'll need a 31.6mm for the PX.
Think it was a picture of yours that gave me the idea. Can't find the thread now! Thanks for the reply

Top Bottom