Going to work yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
and from my house there was a very long line of cars and trucks. I rode past them and after about 2Km came upon the reason for the hold up. A luxury coach and a big artic had a coming together and the damage was extensive to say the least. The section of the font of the coach where the driver sits quite low down was the thickness of a sheet of paper. I didn't stop to look around but for sure there must have been some deaths involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Animal

Why do they do it?

I mean it's tragic that people have to be hurt and maimed, but it is all totally voluntary.

I just do not buy this "accident" thing. Crashing is optional.

Sit up straight, concentrate on what you are doing, drive slowly and cautiously, observe road and traffic conditions, and crashes are less likely.

We as taxpayers pick up the bill for all the carnage on the roads.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Animal, I've been to several places around the world and without doubt Vietnam has the worst drivers I've come across. They pass on blind bends, top of hills and everywhere else in between, there really is NO road discipline what so ever except I'm biggest and I'm coming through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Animal

My neighbour and commuting partner told me this morning that there was a 4 car pile up on the local A road leading out to our village on Friday evening.

Unbelievable. It's a decent enough road, not very bendy at the point where it happened.

It's just that the yuppie T-WATS round my area are overgrown, irresponsible schoolboys, permanently showing off in their BMW and Porsche w-ankmobiles.

They drive along that road a breakneck speeds, overtake insanely, tailgate.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Animal - there are plenty of examples of incidents that are truly accidents. Tyre blow-outs, mechanical failures, heart-attacks at the wheel.

What you say is true, most 'accidents' could be avoided, but you seem to be going down the road of 'all car drivers are maniacs'.

This is so obviously not true, and there are many 'cyclists' who drive as well, plenty on here.

It's not as simple as 'them vs. us', however strongly you feel about it.

Maz

Guru
Animal said:
The problems of a fatalistic world view brought on by tradition and religion.
...or possibly dodgy tyres.

domtyler

Über Member
zimzum42 said:
Animal - there are plenty of examples of incidents that are truly accidents. Tyre blow-outs, mechanical failures, heart-attacks at the wheel.

What you say is true, most 'accidents' could be avoided, but you seem to be going down the road of 'all car drivers are maniacs'.

This is so obviously not true, and there are many 'cyclists' who drive as well, plenty on here.

It's not as simple as 'them vs. us', however strongly you feel about it.

It's a good point you raise ZZZ but I fear that in this particular instance animal may have it about right. I would say that 99.999% of 'Accidents' on the roads are avoidable and true accidents are extremely rare. This is why the police now always refer to Road Traffic Collisions rather than the old RTA's.

domtyler

Über Member
Animal said:
The problems of a fatalistic world view brought on by tradition and religion.

India is a prime example of this, in fact before getting on one bus the locals proudly boasted to me that this was the most dangerous road in India! xx(:wacko:;) Before directing me up to the roof!

Animal

domtyler said:
It's a good point you raise ZZZ but I fear that in this particular instance animal may have it about right. I would say that 99.999% of 'Accidents' on the roads are avoidable and true accidents are extremely rare. This is why the police now always refer to Road Traffic Collisions rather than the old RTA's.

Exactly! How many of these crashes are caused by blow outs or heart attacks? I've never heard such nonsense!

A couple were killed in their Porsche near where I live a few weeks ago. They were just being reckless. There was a 4 car pile up about 1 mile from where I live on Friday. Pure, idiotic, vainglorious, stupidity.

I'd say you're right about 99.999% of crashes being avoidable.

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
Come on Maz, look at the stats. How many would you say are true accidents and how many are down to driver error?
Don't get me wrong. I agree, most collisions are due to driver error. I want to know why it's nonsense that it could be a true accident.

Top Bottom