Going to work yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

If you accept that there are some crashes caused by ill health etc. then I'm sure you can remove some of those from the stats and mark them 'avoidable' because the driver shouldn't have been driving.

Animal

According to the National Statistics Office, in 2006 there were 271,017 casualties in road crashes.

This is just casualties, it does not include "fender benders".

There are an estimated total of 10,000 road crashes per day.

How many heart attacks are people having?

biking_fox

Guru
About 20% of deaths are due to heart attacks, and the UK death rate is 10 deaths per 1000 per year, UK population 60 mil = 600,000 deaths a year??? seems very high? which is 120000 heart attacks a year, or 330 a day - enough to cause 3% of the accidents, and many heart attack sufferers won't necessarily be regular drivers.

Hence many are just drivers not taking enough care.

Jaded

Yes there are over 600,000 deaths a year.

We are lucky that The Daily Mail doesn't write headlines about all of them.

If your 3% comes from diving 330 by 10,000 you've made an assumption that EVERY heart attack takes place in a car. ;)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Animal said:
Exactly! How many of these crashes are caused by blow outs or heart attacks? I've never heard such nonsense!

A couple were killed in their Porsche near where I live a few weeks ago. They were just being reckless. There was a 4 car pile up about 1 mile from where I live on Friday. Pure, idiotic, vainglorious, stupidity.

I'd say you're right about 99.999% of crashes being avoidable.

I tried to couch my argument with recognition of the fact that most accidents/crashes/whatever are indeed avoidable

I only bothered to say anything cos Animal is so obviously going down the raving loony path of 'all drivers are evil'

For me it's a bit more complex than that, but if I have to simplify, I'd say simply that there are plenty of idiots in this world, and unfortunately many of them get to drive cars.

plenty of them ride bikes too though!

Animal

Nope. You haven't though things out.

People change behaviour when they get into a car.

Everything they do becomes more important. Their sense of importance, empowerment and entitlement is amplified.

They have a weapon, a suit of armour and a getway vehicle all wrapped up in a status symbol that society and the media tells them is a symbol of their manhood.

People become bastards when they drive.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Whatever.

Persecution complex more like. I ride on some seriously bust roads, and i don't feel threatened hardly at all. It happens every now and then, but it doesn't colour my view of motorists in general. I might rant after an incident, but that's just letting off steam.

The statistics are bad, but it doesn't mean all drivers are out to get me.

You have a chip on your shoulder, and probably invite the threats cos you ride like an idiot or something

Maz

Guru
Are you in Leicester or Nottingham, by any chance, Animal?
It's not half as bad as you make it out to be.

domtyler

Über Member
zimzum42 said:
Whatever.

Persecution complex more like. I ride on some seriously bust roads, and i don't feel threatened hardly at all. It happens every now and then, but it doesn't colour my view of motorists in general. I might rant after an incident, but that's just letting off steam.

The statistics are bad, but it doesn't mean all drivers are out to get me.

You have a chip on your shoulder, and probably invite the threats cos you ride like an idiot or something

Having lit the blue touch paper, ZimZum put his browser onto auto refresh and retreated to safety behind his sofa to watch the ensuing explosions of rage. ;)

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
Having lit the blue touch paper, ZimZum put his browser onto auto refresh and retreated to safety behind his sofa to watch the ensuing explosions of rage. ;)
Other way around...looks like Animal's done a runner, he's just signed off! ;)

hackbike 6

I just do not buy this "accident" thing. Crashing is optional.

Weird.I was just thinking this on the ride home tonight.If you concentrate and try and anticipate other peoples mistakes and next moves then it does help a lot.

That makes me look like a twit.Obviously I wasn't concentrating (fully) if I was thinking this.:blush:

Maz

Guru
zimzum42 said:
in your opinion, which seems to hold others in low esteem

arrogance
C'mon, Zim, that's a bit harsh, man...there's only a 99.999% chance of this being the case.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Nice one Maz!

In fact, after posting my last comment my internet died, but nice to come back and see the young upstart seems to have scarpered.

Must keep the new boys in order!

Top Bottom