Gold rated cable/coil locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Meeting the Sold Secure Gold standard of necessity requires a heft lock, and they aren't light.

If meeting insurance requirements is your only concern, I'd suggest insuring your bike as a named item on the worldwide all-risks section of your household insurance policy - those rarely specify the type of lock that must be used.

I'm with Liverpool & Victoria, and the policy states only that it must be 'locked'. As it happens, I do choose to use a Sold Secure Gold lock (the Abus Granit X-Plus 54), but there's no insurance requirement for that.

OP
OP
S

shrew

cool, im with NFU or whatever there called now, ill give them a buzz and see what the score is, then i can just get a decent lock that will probably keep it safe anyway but it'll give me a few more options.

thanks Ben)

Jezston

Über Member

battered

Guru
I think it makes sense. I favour the 2 locks approach as he does, at the end of the day if someone turns up with a 36" bolt cutter or better yet a disc grinder, no lock can resist. The Police know this thopugh and if you get stopped with those, no other tools and no good reason to have therm, then you are nicked.

Thieves don't want to have to work hard. Of course you can nick a bike, but "it's only a bike" and few would recognise a £3000 Colnago. Even if they did, where are they going to sell it? No, if you are going to the trouble of cutting a big lock, I'll have a motorbike please, get it back to a lockup, strip it and flog the bits.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Indeed: the video is not really relevant to bicycle locks. The Sold Secure cycle lock standards are based on the tools commonly carried by bicycle thieves, which most definitely doesn't include that massive pair of croppers.

Sure, if a determined thief turns up with a Transit van full of tools at a location where he can work undisturbed, he'll get your bike. But that's a vanishingly rare scenario for bicycle thefts.

The job of a bicycle lock is to make it too time-consuming or attention-drawing for a bicycle thief to steal your bicycle, and encourage him to go and steal an easier target instead. Thankfully there are enough people who use ten quid locks made of cheese that any decent lock will do that job most of the time, and a Sold Secure Gold lock will do it almost all of the time ('almost' as nothing is 100% safe).

Ben Lovejoy said:
I
The job of a bicycle lock is to make it too time-consuming or attention-drawing for a bicycle thief to steal your bicycle, and encourage him to go and steal an easier target instead. Thankfully there are enough people who use ten quid locks made of cheese that any decent lock will do that job most of the time, and a Sold Secure Gold lock will do it almost all of the time ('almost' as nothing is 100% safe).
Yip, My mate locked up his bike at the top of Dawson Street (Dublin) one Friday night; we went off for a few drinks and come back later to find his D Lock mashed (no idea what make it was but it probably wasn't that dear) but the bike still there. I can only think it slowed the thieves long enough that somebody spotted them and chased them off. The only problem was that in mashing the lock they had made it even more tight round the frame; this may have been their problem too. I quickly realised even in my drunk state that we could rotate the frame and the weakened lock; sure enough in only one rotation the lock completely broke and the bike was free.

Ironically he left for Australia a few months later and sold the bike to a colleague and it was nicked before he even left the country.

iZaP

Über Member
HLaB said:
Ironically he left for Australia a few months later and sold the bike to a colleague and it was nicked before he even left the country.

woah, what sort of bike would attract THAT much attention? :wahhey:

Top Bottom