Golden Compass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You do have to remember that a film is a different thing to a book. They do some things better and some things worse, and you can't possibly have an 'accurate' adaptation - indeed the more you try, the worse (and longer) things get - witness the bum-numbingly awful last LoTR film.

NickM

Veteran
I shall probably see it, despite having some misgivings after seeing the trailer. It all looks a bit too slick and shiny to me.

They really needed Robert Stephens to play Lord Asriel. Pity he's dead. And Mrs Coulter is not blonde!

Still, Sam Elliott (in a visual reprise of his cowboy in The Big Lebowski) is not so much inspired casting, more the only possibility for his role.

NickM

Veteran
Big Bren said:
I'll be taking my son to see it sometime in the Xmas hols; we're both huge fans of fantasy and sci-fi, so we often seek refuge from the girls by going on a boys only trip to the cinema. We usually go home via the bike shop too, just to round things off nicely.

I found this heart-warming. Even though I'm not a parent and I'm not usually soppy. Sorry :biggrin:

Definitely going to drag my son to see it alyhough I don't think it will come anywhere near to justifying the book(s) which were utterly brilliant.

The casting is wrong - Nicole Kidman as Marisa ffs! Daniel Craig, weeelll. Lyra, I has as a more wiry, feral child, rather than a reject from the cast of 'Annie'. Oh and the bears aren't right either. Or the armour - to ostentatious.

I really don't see what all the religion fuss is all about. I'm a devoute atheist and didn't read it as Catholic Bashing - just authority/orthodoxy bashing in general. Which of course can only be a good thing.

Big Bren said:
I'll be taking my son to see it sometime in the Xmas hols; we're both huge fans of fantasy and sci-fi, so we often seek refuge from the girls by going on a boys only trip to the cinema. We usually go home via the bike shop too, just to round things off nicely.

"Ohhhhh, it's such a Perfect Day
I'm glad I spent it with youuuu"

OP
OP
P

Pete

punkypossum said:
I loved the books - although anti-narnia is pretty spot-on.
For the record, I utterly loathed the narnia books (as much of them as I ever managed to read, that is) - so totally Enid Blyton in the way they talk down to their readership... I'm sure C S Lewis did a lot of great stuff but he should never have taken on writing at children. And I have no plans to ever see any of the films - I believe only one of the series is out so far - wish it were the last...

Disgruntled Goat said:
The casting is wrong - Nicole Kidman as Marisa ffs!
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an actor as a mis-casting - shall we wait to see how she shapes out in this role - in the assumption that she is an accomplished actor. Searching my memory I can't for the moment place Nicole Kidman in any other movie - what has she been in? (could have a look in IMDB I suppose).

Christopher

Über Member
A children's film with lots of CGI. Nurse! Pass the revolver!

Have recorded 'End of the Affair' on tape. Looking forward to seeing a film made for grown-ups.
I've read all the Pullman books in this series and they're okay but rather, well, heavily descriptive and humorless.

SamNichols

Pete said:
For the record, I utterly loathed the narnia books (as much of them as I ever managed to read, that is) - so totally Enid Blyton in the way they talk down to their readership... I'm sure C S Lewis did a lot of great stuff but he should never have taken on writing at children. And I have no plans to ever see any of the films - I believe only one of the series is out so far - wish it were the last...

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an actor as a mis-casting - shall we wait to see how she shapes out in this role - in the assumption that she is an accomplished actor. Searching my memory I can't for the moment place Nicole Kidman in any other movie - what has she been in? (could have a look in IMDB I suppose).

Here's some I can think of off the top of my head.
To Die For
Eyes Wide Shut
The Hours
Fur

This is actually one of the parts that she would do really well, in my opinion. I cannot quite get to grips with Ian McKellen as Iorek so far.

I quite liked Narnia, but in theology circles C. S. Lewis is a bit of a joke. He wrote populist theology that was very simplistic, especially given the time he was writing it. People who say that C. S. Lewis is their favourite theologian are people who don't read any proper theology.

I hate the Famous Five, but enjoy the Secret Seven. They were the Urban Famous Five.

OP
OP
P

Pete

SamNichols said:
Here's some I can think of off the top of my head.
To Die For
Eyes Wide Shut
The Hours
Fur
Ahhhaa!!! Of the above I've seen The Hours I think, not any of the others. As for EWS ... I take it Nicole will be more 'clothed' than in that film...:biggrin::ohmy::ohmy:?

mondobongo

Über Member
Was she not a rather nice Doctor in dare I mention it Top Gun on wheels aka Days of Thunder.

Looks for coat.....

Top Bottom