Golden wedding anniversary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was walking the dog in the cemetery this afternoon when i saw an unusual sight. It was an elderly bloke i know sat by a grave. He had a bottle of champagne a cake and some music playing from a cd in his car. I asked him what the occasion was. He told me it was his golden wedding today and seeing as his wife was dead he thought he'd do the best to celebrate it by her grave. I looked at the stone and saw she died in 1990 aged 48. He told me she died of cancer just before their 25 year silver wedding and like then, today he was celebrating their anniversary. I told him he was doing the right thing as in a way he's still married to her and they were parted because of fate and not through their own choice. I left him there and wished him well.

Isn't that sad.

Mrs M

Guru
I was walking the dog in the cemetery this afternoon when i saw an unusual sight. It was an elderly bloke i know sat by a grave. He had a bottle of champagne a cake and some music playing from a cd in his car. I asked him what the occasion was. He told me it was his golden wedding today and seeing as his wife was dead he thought he'd do the best to celebrate it by her grave. I looked at the stone and saw she died in 1990 aged 48. He told me she died of cancer just before their 25 year silver wedding and like then, today he was celebrating their anniversary. I told him he was doing the right thing as in a way he's still married to her and they were parted because of fate and not through their own choice. I left him there and wished him well.

Isn't that sad.
Very sad but lovely thing to do.
He is still married to her, she's just not here (in body).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had the opposite a few weeks back. We took flowers round to MIL for her anniversary as FIL died October 14. We got "I'm not married now" - we said she still was - she can be a right miserable bugger if you let her. It's an attention thing, and we generally ignore her doing crap like this - we had a significant amount of it after FIL died, despite massive amounts of attention.

Good on that old chap - positive attitude...

It is a personal thing

My wife and I always had (and have) an agreement that should something happen then we would prefer that the other one moved on and if in the future that involved another relationship then fine.

The relationship we had to that point would never change, and would neither be devalued or diminished by a future life for the other person

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Lovely sad story.
Sad for the man: after 16 years, for his own sake, he should have moved on, if not into another relationship then into a frame of mind that does not require a graveside celebration to remember the good times with her.

coco69

Veteran
Thats kind of pulled at my heart strings

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sad, but moving!

I met a cyclist in his 80s who had just been for one of his solo mid-week rides to a cafe. He ended up catching the same train home as me so we carried on talking. He said that he had got married to his sweetheart when they were both very young but she died suddenly a few years later. As far as he was concerned, no other woman would ever live up to her so he didn't even try to find another partner. He was lonely so to get him out of the house more he joined his local cycling club and had been a keen cyclist ever since!

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It is my 35th wedding anniversary this year!
I really can't say what I would do if I lost my wife. Maybe what the man did or something else, dunno!
But if that works for him, so be it....

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Lovely sad story.
Sad for the man: after 16 years, for his own sake, he should have moved on, if not into another relationship then into a frame of mind that does not require a graveside celebration to remember the good times with her.

26 years, Pat.:okay: I asked him if he'd ever thought of meeting someone else and making a new life. He said he missed her so much he'd tried, but that love for his dead wife got in the way of any further relationships.

Last edited:

Jaykun85

aww thats so sweet. and sad at the same time. He must have truely found the love of his life. I just hope that he had some lovely memories of there time together however short :smile:
I will be lucky if i ever get a 1 year anniversary :P

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My Father much the same, he never had another relationship after my Ma, who died in her early 50's. He just never found another romance. They had a fine relationship that was a good example for me growing up. My Father still had lots of friends, and he was quite active in the lodge and clubs. Quite the railfan as well.

Top Bottom