Golden wedding anniversary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
there are two sad parts to this story, obviously his wife dying at a relatively young age is very sad but for me I find it sad that he needed to go to such lenghts to remember his wife, I could be wrong but I'd hate to think he never couldn't or wanted to move on....
I've been with my woman for 20 years, if I was to die tomorrow I'd hate to think that she wouldn't-couldn't-didn't find the happiness she deserves with someone else and was still mourning me after 20+ years,
its one of the reasons I'll have no resting place, when I die, I don't want my kids, woman, friends to feel obligated to visit someplace that means nothing to me....
I know friends and family who will never move because of a burial plot, they feel they need to visit....
I tend to agree , both my wife and i would prefer for our ashes to be scattered rather than interred in a permanent plot, i also think an unattended grave looks so sad.

We always wanted our ashes on the peak of Blencathra, however as my wife is in a wheelchair and my knee / hip problems are preventing me from doing as much hill walking - we may either have to become more practical

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I tend to agree , both my wife and i would prefer for our ashes to be scattered rather than interred in a permanent plot, i also think an unattended grave looks so sad.

And they become a bit of a burden to those left behind. Often i've thought about moving away from here but then think who will look after my dad's and grandparents graves. I Know if i was to move away the only time they'd be tidied up would be when/if i returned. No one else in the family bothers. I'm not being stuck down a hole that no one will visit after the funeral!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm considering cremation, and then being placed in a columbarium at the back of the church, as I'm the youngest of the youngest, and when I'm gone, that's all, folks. Neither I nor Mrs. GA have descendants. So many things can happen at a graveyard. Trumps' people parked all over the graves at a graveyard near the airport, where he had a rally, then knocked over and damaged more gravestones as they left. Volunteers came and helped clean the mess, but it still looks pretty bad out there. All flat bronze plates for the graves, but the other things like vigil lights, benches, and flower urns are / were all cast about.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd happily have my ashes dumped in the bin. I come from a traditional Irish family where funerals, graves and headstones are a big thing, often costing those left behind money they can ill afford but feel under pressure to spend.

I just don't like the idea of my death leading to some sort of ceremony (Especially if those who hate me turn up). Once I've drawn my last breath get me out of the way as quickly, cheaply and fuss free as possible.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Memorial bench along the cycle trail would be okay, put it where people can use it. A fellow I knew has a nice picnic/rain shelter, and several tables and benches and a couple of water fountains, and the wayside is named for him.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was walking the dog in the cemetery this afternoon when i saw an unusual sight. It was an elderly bloke i know sat by a grave. He had a bottle of champagne a cake and some music playing from a cd in his car. I asked him what the occasion was. He told me it was his golden wedding today and seeing as his wife was dead he thought he'd do the best to celebrate it by her grave. I looked at the stone and saw she died in 1990 aged 48. He told me she died of cancer just before their 25 year silver wedding and like then, today he was celebrating their anniversary. I told him he was doing the right thing as in a way he's still married to her and they were parted because of fate and not through their own choice. I left him there and wished him well.

Isn't that sad.

Not sad per se, a Beautiful thing to do. if that's how he wants to live his life, who are people on a bike forum to judge.

Top Bottom