1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golfing dopeheads

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by wafflycat, 2 Aug 2007.

1. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

It isn't just cycling after all (quelle surprise...)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/6926850.stm

Now is the meeja is going to be full of articles about how golf isn't a sport, should be banned, all dopeheads, etc., etc., No, thought not. ;)

2. monnet

monnet Über Member

I've just read in CW that 6 top level athletes gave positive dope tests during the time the Tour was on. Never heard about that one in the national press, front pages, news at ten etc. either.

3. skut

skut New Member

I do take your point, but actually that 800 m runner (blonde, can't remember her name) was in the papers quite a bit - it's just you were reading the cycling sections.

4. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

I find a spliff is about the only thing that makes a round manageable....

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Jolanda Ceplak
    Read all about it...
    http://www.athletics-weekly.com/newsarticle.php?id=365

6. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

zimzum, one of these days somebody will believe you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Since none of you can keep up with my riding, you'll never get to see me doing the legendary skinning on the bike trick....

8. Is it only me who noticed...

9. fuzzy29

fuzzy29 New Member

Given that I do play the odd round of golf, I can see how a performance enhancing drug could aid your game. A walk around 18 holes and taking (over) a hundred shots leaves me feeling a bit tired. For a pro, that little bit of extra energy could be the difference between not making the cut and winning a few million.

Also, they're not tested, so there's no risk. I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the pro's are using something that is illegal, either as an energy boost or to calm them down. The game of golf is so wound up with it's own petty rules and regulations, that going for a round whilst high as a kite, would go unnoticed.

But, given the money in golf, I doubt they would ever test. Imagine Tiger testing positive, Nike would go bankrupt!

10. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

They'd have to recall the most tested athlete in history back to training camp!

Or plough it into Beckham - wait a minute, operacion puerto anyone??

11. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i take that it showed up in a urine sample ;) where's fnaar when you need him?

12. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

With a name like that he was bound to fail the urine test.
    Someone else must have been taking it! ;)

13. chris42

chris42 New Member

beta blockers have been used in golf for years to stop the yipps. they are banned but still used.;)

14. k-dog

k-dog New Member

^ yeah, it's not so much steroids in golf but things to relax you and stop tremors and stuff - same sort of stuff that was supposedly rife in snooker a few years ago.