Gone electric!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You and I have too much time on our hands, Wiggy!!

Stimulated by your post I've just looked at the manual for the display on my bike's handlebars (Bosch Intuvia). I had long forgotten or not remembered that it does not have an internal button battery as I thought....it has a permanent rechargeable lithium-ion battery inside. The manual says that the bike's external battery powers the display whilst on the bike and that the lithium-ion one powers it off the bike, ie saving the settings etc. The implication is that the main battery also keeps the rechargeable one topped up. It says that the display will indicate if its internal battery is low; the display should either be put on the bike to be charged at the same time as the main battery or topped up by it during a ride, OR it can be charged off the bike via its USB port (500mA max output). Now we know!

I charge the main battery off the bike, and after 2500k have yet to see the display tell me it needs charging. I wonder why steveindenmark's display somehow became undercharged so that the system did not work.

Incidentally the manual also reminded me that the motor/system won't work if the speed sensor is not connected properly.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I've edited my post to say I've found the same!

Another extra feature I found was a USB port which I can use to charge the computer, or charge a device when on the bike.

The computers were sat idle for a year, both still had charge when I picked them up again so I'm not too worried about them draining flat!

Mike_P

Guru
Worth also checking if there is a firmware update, there should be a manufactures mobile app for the ebike which will check on such and download and install as necessary, as well as giving various data including motor and battery health. Giant have updated to v 5.5 of their firmware.

Done my second ride on it today, 15 miles and I ran the motor most of the time plus the lights. Strange thing was the range when I left was 42mls, when I've got back it's 48mls 🙃 I've got a self charging EBike lol.

I have had something similar
I think some of the range calculations are based on the charge and the current usage
so if your last ride used the battery quite a lot
then your current ride has used it far less - maybe lower assist mode - or more likely riding slightly faster so that you go over the motor cut-off a lot - then the calculations change and the range becomes far higher than you would expect
I have seen it on our folders rather basic system - I go up a big hill and the range drops down to very little then when I get to a long flat bit the range climbs up pretty fast

Maybe

gzoom

Über Member
My SLe is under 12kg, bare, but might not suit everyone

View attachment 682037

My Creo stock with pedals is 12.7kg. With some nicer wheels, a rear cassette that isn't a dinner plate will drop the weight to 12kg easily......but as we all know aero is king these days.

The Revo set is lovely, light weight and aero, but sadly have better things to spend £2k on :sad:.

52581229462_f44eb8e06b_k_d.jpg

236159-784843_1_Supersize.jpg

diegoalv

Regular
Congrats! What a nice bike!
With so many different brands and models available these days, how did you make choice? Did you visit some local e-bike stores before the purchase and went on a ride? Did you ask some professional cyclists for advice? For the last couple of months i spent so much time choosing my perfect ride and still didn't make the final choice. For now i am considering this off-road ebike but firstly would like to find someone who can give a detailed feedback about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom