Gonna be looking for a bike next year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wetdog

Hi guys and gals, I'm gonna be looking for a bike next year so I thought I would ask on here and do a bit of looking around. I've nothing against new unless a really good buy comes along.
I currently ride a CAAD10, although it's a really good bike there is something not quite right with it. Only doing 10 miles and it's a little bit hurty, so I was gonna hopefully get something to suite me. I'm 56 and overweight, and I have numerous injuries to cope with also. Knees are knacked, and so is my back. Maybe I'll spend a fortune and get Di2, undecided yet
I'm gonna go around the shops and call into Dolan as well and see what they can offer me, I say shops but only the top rated ones. I know it's a bit of a laudy dah thing to say but it's what is gonna happen.
So what are your reccomendations?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you had a bike fit done with the current bike? Might be something simple to resolve the little hurty

If you have injuries, find a retailer that understands bike fitting or get an assessment by a cycling physio before buying and start an exercise and stretching programme. That'll be a far better investment than Di2,not much use having fancy kit if you can't ride because your joints are farked or You are in pain and get no enjoyment from cycling
I'm not sure what makes a bike shop top end?

Maybe consider slimming world or similar if needing some impetus to lose weight (which your knees and back will thank you for)

Last edited:

dim

nothing wrong with a CAAD10 if it fits you properly... it's a very good bike ...

have a professional bike fit before selling it any trying something else

once that you start increasing your mileage, on a regular basis, the bike will become more comfortable (what I'm really trying to say, is that you have a very good bike, but you don't ride enough and your body/muscles are taking strain because of this... so ride more)

OP
OP
Wetdog

Wetdog

Typical Vicks there all common sense and good advise :okay:.
I've had a fit done by my mate, an ex bike mechanic. I'll only Buy Di2 if it is something that I will benefit from, I won't be going to Halfords etc. They are achey pains, not severe but enough to piss me off. The weight thing is an issue, but I'm a big bloke to start with and you won't believe me if I told you what I weigh. Nobody ever does.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you 7ft tall or 'big boned' ;) that's my excuse too ;)

Find a physio who does bike fitting, not a mate ex mechanic unless he's also medically trained in anatomy, biomechanics etc

What's wrong with your knees Andrew back, do you do physio to address the issues? Hips down and core, look into Pilates as well as physiotherapy. IMO cycling is not wise with dodgy back and knees unless they are being addressed

simon.r

Person
I'm about your age and also carry a few long term injuries. I reckon 2 things have made my cycling a lot comfier in the last 18 months.

First, as suggested, a proper bike fit.

Second, buying a bike that will take 30mm tyres and running them at relatively low pressures. It made a lot more difference to comfort, especially on longer rides, than I'd expected.

Hi guys and gals, I'm gonna be looking for a bike next year so I thought I would ask on here and do a bit of looking around. I've nothing against new unless a really good buy comes along.
I currently ride a CAAD10, although it's a really good bike there is something not quite right with it. Only doing 10 miles and it's a little bit hurty, so I was gonna hopefully get something to suite me. I'm 56 and overweight, and I have numerous injuries to cope with also. Knees are knacked, and so is my back. Maybe I'll spend a fortune and get Di2, undecided yet
I'm gonna go around the shops and call into Dolan as well and see what they can offer me, I say shops but only the top rated ones. I know it's a bit of a laudy dah thing to say but it's what is gonna happen.

My recommendations are to change the saddle and get some wide tyres and pump them up if you're a weighty proposition, and a new bike is a last resort!

I have a CAAD 10 105 and when I bought it I upgraded to Mavic Krysrium Elite wheels before I left the shop.

It has been a comfortable ride since.

Tin Pot

Guru

Not sure you need a race bike? Unless those ten miles are time trials? ;)

Get fit first, or get a more relaxed geometry that's still cool.

Cinelli Bootleg Hoy Hoy Rats
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-bootleg-hoy-hoy-rats-2016-1/

Cinelli Della Strada
http://www.ubyk.co.uk/m/product.php?CI_ID=30003

Top Bottom