Good base camp for cycling in Wales?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-Lo

Hi all,

Last year I went on a 10 day cycle tour through Normandy & Brittany and really enjoyed it. I feel disappointed this year that I've not been away on my bike. I thought there is still some time left and so I am thinking about going to Wales (not to far!) to see some scenery (live in flat suffolk...) and do a few day rides. I would be looking at going for 4, maybe 5 days staying in a decent campsite to use as my base - Any suggestions on either areas good for cycling (road) or specific camp sites? I was thinking of around Barmouth/or snowdonia in general?

EDIT: I would be looking at going start of November time (need notice for work leave), hope I can brave the weather! I realise it might be hard finding a campsite out of season)

Thanks in advance!
Jamie

Last edited:

lukesdad

Mid wales has far more to offer than north wales Rhayader would be my choice.

This site is lovely and just a short walk along the river into town. Some nice pubs and cafes there http://www.wyesidecamping.co.uk/home.html

+1 for Rhayader, an excellent base for the Elan Valley and Aberystwyth mountain road, if you're feeling energetic:heat:
I've stayed at Wyeside and it is indeed a nice convenient site, but unfortunately closes at the end of October.
Many sites do close then, so ring any site you intend to use to check in order to avoid disappointment.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mid wales has far more to offer than north wales Rhayader would be my choice.

This site is lovely and just a short walk along the river into town. Some nice pubs and cafes there http://www.wyesidecamping.co.uk/home.html
Rhayader or maybe Machynlleth would get me vote.

And if you want a base camp in Wales it needs to have a roof and four sturdy walls. Often identified by a sign that says Gwely a Brecwast or similar.

afl2

Über Member
I don't know anything about campsites so can not recommend any.
However I do recommend Snowdonia. Its special and unique.
Various attractions can be planned in as part of your route from coastal towns to villages/castles.
The scenery is fantastic so you will never be disappointed.
There are a couple of off road cycling places in the area as well, in Blaenau Ffestiniog and Coed y Brenin.

Crankarm

Guru
Another vote for Rhayader, lots of options heading either north south east or west. Going west through the Elan Valley, past Claerwen Res and continue due west to join the B4343 is a pretty good ride, but not on a road bike, lots of wild camping possibilities, stunning views as you descend to the B4343. The mountain road from Llanidoes to Machynlleth is pretty spectacular, wild camping at the top. Could do this on a road bike. It might be rather cold and wet in november though. BnB might be a better choice as getting clothes dry for next day may be a problem if you camp. For north Wales you could stay at National Climbing Centre Plas y Brenin or Coed y Brenin near Capel Curig right next to Snowdonia National Park or Betws y Coed itself. SW toward Llandovery is nice as well again lots of choices. Brecon and Monmouth canal cycle path is worth a ride.

OP
OP
J

J-Lo

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Due to the weather I am going to drive down there with bike on car. I would be staying in 1 campsite for the duration and getting out on bike when/if weather permits. I plan to take the walking gear if cycling isn't an option, I'd like to do Snowdon. The campsites mentioned are all closed out of season - as are most sites I've looked at!

I quite fancy being near to Snowdon, and Capel Curig looks like a nice spot. Found the campsite Gwern Gof Uchaf - it's basic but all I need is showers/toilets and reviews on ukcampsite seem positive. Plus right under Tryfan with amazing scenery! Anybody have experience of this site?

Thanks again!

Mile195

Veteran
I've returned from Wales just yesterday (motorcycle tour though - not on the bike).

It's the second time I've stayed in Brecon, at the Priory Mill campsite. Also a great base for riding some of the mountains. It's further away from the Elan Valley though.

chrtho

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Due to the weather I am going to drive down there with bike on car. I would be staying in 1 campsite for the duration and getting out on bike when/if weather permits. I plan to take the walking gear if cycling isn't an option, I'd like to do Snowdon. The campsites mentioned are all closed out of season - as are most sites I've looked at!

I quite fancy being near to Snowdon, and Capel Curig looks like a nice spot. Found the campsite Gwern Gof Uchaf - it's basic but all I need is showers/toilets and reviews on ukcampsite seem positive. Plus right under Tryfan with amazing scenery! Anybody have experience of this site?

Thanks again!

Stayed on that site once but prefer to be nearer the pub - the nights are long that time of year. There's a good site just before Capel on the left as you drive up which I have stayed at in winter. The climbers' site in the Pass (Nant Peris, opposite the pub) is deffo open all year.

Last edited:

Albert

Über Member
Rhayader. A big + is that it has a very helpful bikeshop with an amazing mechanic.
If you visit this area, then don't miss the chance to ride the area to the east of Rhayader - a cycling paradise of lovely villages and quiet roads.

Top Bottom