Good base for Alps or Pyrenees.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
We did the Galibier in early June. Couple of years ago and it was fine, though there were still snow banks higher up the climb, the road itself was clear. It opened on 11 May, but this can vary according to the weather and how warm it is

OP
OP
N

Neil65

Don't rule out Annecy in the Alps. Stayed there last year and it was a superb base for cycling. All the way along the west side of the lake and up the valley to Albertville there is a superb cycle path (an old railway line), so you can quickly get away from the traffic without any strenuous climbing. Every valley to either side of the path is rideable, and I took in the Col de l'Epine from Marlens (a 500 metre climb over about 8km that featured as a Cat 1 climb in the 2012 TdF) as my first Alp and rode several very quiet roads near Chevaline and Doussard at the South end of the lake. There are big Tour de France rides nearby up the Semnoz (was an HC climb in the 2012 TdF), the Col de la Forclaz and others with great views back over Lake Annecy, . I'm going back later this year to try the Col des Aravis and the Col de la Colombiere, which are about 600 and 800 metres of climbing respectively. Annecy itself is a beautiful old town full of waterside restaurants. We stayed at Doussard at the South end of the lake, and are going back to the same place again. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Thanks Donger, Annecy looks excellent
We did the Galibier in early June. Couple of years ago and it was fine, though there were still snow banks higher up the climb, the road itself was clear. It opened on 11 May, but this can vary according to the weather and how warm it is
Thanks for the info Big T

andym

Über Member
The problem with May-June is that the weather can be iffy - it might be sunny and warm - or it might not, eg this picture shows the Giro d'Italia arriving at the stage finish on 25 May 2013 (altitude a little over 2300m):

giro%20ditalia%20per%20sito.jpg

It might well be beautiful, but if you have the choice go as late as you can.

I wouldn't worry about the heat so much in July-August - every 1000 metres of altitude means a 6.6 degree temperature fall. So at altitude it might be pleasantly warm while in the valley it's sweltering.

Oh and if you are mountain-biking, depending on where you go, you might find that bike parks and lifts are open in July and August.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Neil65

The problem with May-June is that the weather can be iffy - it might be sunny and warm - or it might not, eg this picture shows the Giro d'Italia arriving at the stage finish on 25 May 2013 (altitude a little over 2300m):

giro%20ditalia%20per%20sito.jpg

It might well be beautiful, but if you have the choice go as late as you can.

I wouldn't worry about the heat so much in July-August - every 1000 metres of altitude means a 6.6 degree temperature fall. So at altitude it might be pleasantly warm while in the valley it's sweltering.

Oh and if you are mountain-biking, depending on where you go, you might find that bike parks and lifts are open in July and August.
Thanks andym, valuable info, might have to rethink my plans.

Top Bottom