Good Evening From Inverness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CoyiCal

Evening all,

Like a few others just getting into cycling. Currently doing 20 miles a day to and from work. Riding my Dad's hybrid bike with two satchels. Managing to do 10 miles in just under 40 minutes. However the amount of road bikes that pass me is crazy, and that's what I am here for. Wondering what bike to begin with? Have a relatively small budget, £200-£300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome from a few miles up the road :smile:.
Perhaps if you plan to cycle to work through the winter the hybrid might be as good as any? Anyway someone will be along with better advice shortly^_^.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
where to start is a hard question to answer my advice would be to go 2nd route and for your budget some nice old retro steelies out there , that will serve you well .

try and go for one that can take guards and racks for sure

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website, I would go for a hybrid, and look for one with gearing similar to a road bike.
I use a MTB for the commute to work, and very good in its job, but the gear ratio is not really setup for speed.

Fubar

Guru
Evening all,

Like a few others just getting into cycling. Currently doing 20 miles a day to and from work. Riding my Dad's hybrid bike with two satchels. Managing to do 10 miles in just under 40 minutes. However the amount of road bikes that pass me is crazy, and that's what I am here for. Wondering what bike to begin with? Have a relatively small budget, £200-£300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi and :welcome: to the forum from Dunfermline! There is lots of good advice on the forum so do some reading on what other people are looking at - picking a bike is very subjective. Decathlon have road bikes from £300 but Edinburgh/Glasgow is your closest in Scotland, alternatively you could look for a second-hand deal in the Classified section, good way to get a nice bike for not much outlay. There are a number of CC Ecosse rides as well so keep an eye out in the Informal Rides section if you fancy venturing South. All the best, Mark

Hi ya from a displaced Scotsman, a southerner Fae Fife and now further South :welcome:

For your budget I would look second hand or at Decathlon and I think the Hellfrauds TdF has a not too bad reputation either (pity about the staff) and get one that fits. I do think you are right to consider a road bike I find them faster than even the most comparable geared/ tired (23mm)/weighted hybrid, such as the Sirrus; over the longer term due to a more aerodynamic stretched out and narrower position but if you are not comfortable it, you wont be need to consider that. Sometimes with local clubs you can pick up a baragain as somebody else has outgrown or upgraded their bike.

Col5632

Guru
:welcome: to the site from fife :thumbsup:

Decathlon are most likely your best bet for a new cheap road bike, i bought myself the triban 5a back in april for £400 and as far as road bikes go its pretty good :thumbsup:

ACS

Legendary Member
Welcome from Fife

No advice on which bike I'm afraid, however, I was in Decathlon in Glasgow last weekend to take a look at a Triban 3 as replacement for my current commuter. Great value for money. Did I buy one? No my head was turned by another model so I left it. Will I returned when finances allow? You bet I will.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi CoyiCal and :welcome:.

I too would suggest Decathlon for a roadbike in your budget, however looking at the list of stores it's a heck of a way for you to travel.

If I remember right, Inverness has a fairly large Halfords, so the Carrera TDF could be worth a look.

Top Bottom