Good first week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I reckon its been one of the most exiting first weeks for a long time!

The absence of the TTT is no big loss.

Can't see Rasmussen holding the yellow for overall, but a real clever piece of riding by Ras. Not sure the others in the pack really see him as a contender for overall so they let him go, which could turn out to be a mistake. But then Ras can't TT...

Some brilliant cycling by Cancellara over the first week, and to keep the Yellow for as long as he did. Chapeau indeed

The sprinting wasn't bad either. Can't help that think the absence of Petacchi has opened it up for the other guys. Personally i don't miss the huge lead out trains of milram et al, and we have got some really open sprints as a result.

The brits haven't disgraced themselves either. Cav will come good in the future, steep learning curve for the young lad. Wiggins and Millar getting themselves out front for long periods was good to watch too. Millar's flyer was unlucky, the sprinters weren't gonn let that one go. Millar in polka dots for a couple of days. I would have predicted that one.

I need a rest after all that :eek:

yenrod

Anyone but Vino' to win I say ! :eek:

User269

There's a long way to go yet, but Rasmussen's got quite a good gap. At present the only real challenger who could beat him in the TTs is...............Moreau. Stop larfing! :eek:

dbg

If Rasmussen can put together a decent tt, the race could be his for the taking - assuming he hasn't taken too much out of himself yesterday and he can do something similar in the Pyrannes. There doesn't seem to be anyone really challenging him as the roads go vertical - yet.

Keith Oates

Janner
A good week indeed, except for the crashes. To have Rogers, O'Grady and McEwen out due to accidents is not so good. Millar has certainly shown that he is a good rider but what can he go for now, a TT or a stage or both. Valverde is still around and he is well placed so I hope he at least makes the podium in Paris. Rasmussen could well pile on the time in the hills and keep a gap during the TT's. Interesting doesn't seem sufficient to describe what might lay ahead!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

A wee bit arsey but McEwan didn't withdraw, he was eliminated.

I think Valverde could easily win this tour if he only had the cohunas to go for it. I hope Rasmussen hangs on.

A good first week though, defo.

We haven't had a Voigt breakaway yet this year. Come on big Jens!

The pundits at ITV4 were almost unanimous in tipping Cadel Evans a few days ago.

I dunno, he's never really impressed me as a winner and certainly didn't yesterday, seemed all he could do to hang-on in that Moreau group.

Be interesting to have seen what Kloeden could have done if he wasn't pulling Vino up the hill.

And Klodi can certainly TT...

monnet

Guru
Watch out for Menchov I say. He's not far behind Rasmussen, can TT very well and can hold the wheels in the mountains and he's riding lucky number 51.

Squaggles

I actually miss the TTT and would prefer to see it in there at the expense of an individual TT .

I don't like the idea of riders hanging on in the mountains and winning by crushing people in the TTs .

Pretty good first week though and great to see the climbers putting the likes of Vino in difficulty . I'd love it if Iban Mayo or Rasmussen could actually win it .

Monty Dog

I'm intruiged to see how certain teams haven't been able to control the race as in previous years - maybe the new controls are affecting their preparation. There are a few riders who've we've got used to riding tempo at the front of the peloton that are barely struggling to keep up - one things for sure, it makes it far more interesting to watch. Suddenly the climbers have 'found' their legs again and can weave their magic as they try and take big leads into the TT. If this is the future of the grand tours, I'm all for it. PS. When are the Aussies going to take some bike-handling lessons? All we need is Evans to fall off (again) and bust his collarbone and we'll have the full-set! That's a more likely proposition that actually seeing him attack!

Keith Oates

Janner
" A wee bit arsey but McEwan didn't withdraw, he was eliminated."
Very true but I think it was the result of the crash that affected his performance. Like him or hate him, the man has 'guts'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

Keith Oates said:
" A wee bit arsey but McEwan didn't withdraw, he was eliminated."
Very true but I think it was the result of the crash that affected his performance. Like him or hate him, the man has 'guts'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair point. He's one of my favourite riders so I'm sorry to see him go. Boonen must be rubbing his hands.

thejonesy

Another couple of good days for Rasmussen in the mountains and he might get enough time to compensate for the time trialling. I thought Contador looked pretty strong yesterday as well, he might be in the mix in Paris, it was a shame he had to change his bike on the last climb, he may well have attacked judging by the way he made time back.
Still some big mountain days to come though, should be a classic tour :eek:

nickwill

Maybe there's still hope for 'real climbers'. Wasn't it great to see Rasmussen and Mayo dancing away from the others on the climbs.
Much as I've admired Valverde in the past, I still have a few doubts about him, as I do about Vino.
I'd like to see one of the climbers build a good lead in the mountains and then see if Cancellara et al can claw it back in the TTs and flat stages.
Looking forward to next week!

Top Bottom