Good God!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ripple

Veteran
I will be 40 this year and still cannot decide if I should be scared (omg already 40 !!!) or not.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A long, long time ago I thought that 80 was a reasonable age for a chiild of the fifties to reach - although the closer I get to that the more I increase it - currently 85.

And the way I visualised the span from 0-80 was the Mile for middle distance runners but with four 20 year laps.

So @cookiemonster you will soon be halfway around lap three - not bad and certainly better than me being roughly a quarter of the way around the last lap.

Happy birthday in advance.

Perception of age and time changes as you get older. I read recently that humans perceive time as speeding up as they age. This being human perception that makes half your life being about 25 to 28 years old.

Is that not a little bit scary? Once past 30 we're all speeding up to our old age and death!

On a more cheery note, you'll more likely have more disposable income as you get older so there's likely to be some benefits.

I'm a year older also a big bloke but must definitely not with dark hair. I still have some, plenty in fact, just a bit light in colour.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Perception of age and time changes as you get older. I read recently that humans perceive time as speeding up as they age. This being human perception that makes half your life being about 25 to 28 years old.

Is that not a little bit scary? Once past 30 we're all speeding up to our old age and death!

On a more cheery note, you'll more likely have more disposable income as you get older so there's likely to be some benefits.

I'm a year older also a big bloke but must definitely not with dark hair. I still have some, plenty in fact, just a bit light in colour.

I think there are a whole raft of benefits to being older apart from any possible financial advantages.

Probably for another thread... but, wisdom, comfortable with your own identity, able to weather ups and downs better, hopefully the stability of long-term relationship, not having to work and strive etc.

D

Deleted member 1258

I vaguely remember being 50, about 21 years ago, I'm now seeing 80 looming on the horizon, just remember lifes like a roll of toilet roll, the nearer the end you get the faster it goes. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I think I'll be like my Dad. When 60 rolled around he was a bit meh. When 70 rolled in he finally realised that this sheet is getting real! He was 78 yesterday and plans to give up flying in the autumn...which is fine by me because if his flying is anything like his driving has suddenly become...

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
50 later this year.

Ooh, young man!

maxresdefault.jpg

Personally - if it wasn;t for family wanting to "do something" (or feeling they should???) I would be happy to pretty much ignore birthdays

many years ago they became a pain - for many years I had to think from months ahead to find something I sort of wanted that each member of my family would be happy to buy for me
i.e. cost about the right amount, made them feel they were buying me something I wanted
and then buy it to give to them to wrap up and give back to me

In the meantime I probably wanted it earlier - or wanted a more expensive version that was over what I thought they thought would be thought to be the right sort of price

a right pain in the whatsit

at least my wife (who I didn;t know in those days) always manages to find something I REALLY want - but often didn;t know I wanted
(yes - I know - I don;t deserve her!!!)
my blood family have now all died or I have stopped bothering with them for $reasons so that problem has gone!!!

but I still don't really want a birthday - maybe just a nice meal for the 2 of us

Top Bottom