Good hybrid tyres for grip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I have a GT Traffic that I mainly use on gravel paths and canal paths. When I was out today I just wasn't loving the grip from the Marathon Pluses. I bought them when I commuted on the bike and avoiding a puncture was the only criteria, but now that's not so important.

Any recommendations so I can feel a bit more confident and possibly more comfortable? And what size would you recommend as I've never bought tyres for it and can go anywhere from 25 up to 40+?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I slightly prefer the Delta Cruiser which uses the SBC compound (edit: Schwalbe Basic Compound) (instead of the Endurance on the Marathon) and there's now a Plus version. The new OneStar compound (Marathon Supreme HD and Almotion, amongst others) is reportedly better but I've not tried it yet.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Try Schwalbe Land Cruisers, about a tenner each if you shop around.
Not as puncture proof as the Marathons, so keep properly inflated and check regularly for wee embedded bits.
Size: 35 is ideal imo.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
+1 for Land Cruisers - I've got them on my hybrid, after an ill advised purchase of hateful Marathons. They're cheap as chips too.
True, but I still prefer Marathons (Original Greenguard, not Plus) on a smooth road.
Sadly, we don't have many of them around here!

dim

Schwalbe G One Speed or Schwalbe Thunder Burt

Top Bottom