Good iPhone apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a1anm

Regular
I just bought my first bike (hybrid) today and will be picking it up later in the week.

I'm now trying to find some good cycle routes. Does any have any iPhone apps for finding good routes?

bainy16

use bike toaster and plan your own ride :cheers:

I use a combination of things

NavFree UK & ROI is pretty good - I like it because the maps are all offline, so ready downloaded but it does mean a larger download though useful if you don't have a good signal etc. It also detects if it is dark and switches to a night mode so as not to kill your night vision if driving which is a nice touch for a free app. It can route but is not setup for cyclist - though it will still tell you where you are when you are lost and can search on UK postcodes which is a feature I like.

Bike Hub Cycle journey planner is also an interesting app. it also has bike shops in it, but requires a live connection to work

I also use from time to time the Sustrans National Cycle Network app which whilst it does not route, does have the abilty to cache tiles of maps and tells you where you are. It makes the NCN much clearer if you are trying to find what is around you. You still need to navigate manually but if you can read a map, it has more than enough detail to tell you where to go next.

Powely

I don't route plan, just ride and see where I end up. I have had to use NavFree to get me back to somewhere recognisable a couple times. The app I do use for every ride is Strava, give it a go if you don't already use it. It's a great app which helps you record your progress and getting KOM is a great feeling.

I don't route plan, just ride and see where I end up. I have had to use NavFree to get me back to somewhere recognisable a couple times. The app I do use for every ride is Strava, give it a go if you don't already use it. It's a great app which helps you record your progress and getting KOM is a great feeling.
I've just baled from using strava on my iPhone (due to the age of the iPhone) because it frequently missed segments because the GPS signal was not good enough to convince the system I was anywhere near a road (and often it showed me cycling through lakes (not The Lakes) when I was actually on a segment.... It also had be flying in straight lines topping +400kph at times and whilst I know the Triban 3 is faster than taking my mountain bike or my tourer, I'm not sure it is an accurate representation of what I actually cycled!:tongue:

Powely

I've just baled from using strava on my iPhone (due to the age of the iPhone) because it frequently missed segments because the GPS signal was not good enough to convince the system I was anywhere near a road (and often it showed me cycling through lakes (not The Lakes) when I was actually on a segment.... It also had be flying in straight lines topping +400kph at times and whilst I know the Triban 3 is faster than taking my mountain bike or my tourer, I'm not sure it is an accurate representation of what I actually cycled!:tongue:

That's a shame because it's worked really well for me on both a iPhone4 and 5. Might be due to where I live though. The 3G signal here seems ok. The only time it has made a 'as the crow flies' line is when I pause the app for a cafe stop and forget to restart it. :/

That's a shame because it's worked really well for me on both a iPhone4 and 5. Might be due to where I live though. The 3G signal here seems ok. The only time it has made a 'as the crow flies' line is when I pause the app for a cafe stop and forget to restart it. :/
I only have an iPhone 3G which apparently has a crap GPS signal which I can vouch for... at times for a laugh (we don't usually use satnav despite the name - which is actually where it came from - always seeing other people's satnavs saying straight on) we turn it on in the car whilst driving up a motorway and start getting instructions to 'go straight over' the roundabout in 500m... next exit was 15km away. there was a roundabout to the right of the motorway and our iPhone 3G had decided we were not on the motorway... we certainly went 'straight over' that roundabout, but if it can't detect which motorway I am on, I stand little chance with bridlepaths - it frequenly decides I have gone off at a bridge and routes via a route instead (strava does that is).

If you want a giggle, click on the pictures - that is what I have been getting more often than not. the first I was on the road for the entire time... the 2nd well - apparently I can fly! I briefly looked at upgrading the iPhone but to be honest, the phone works fine (even though the apps I can now get are seriously limited - it still makes phone calls & text messages and can log "fill the hole" reports...

Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

So far the Garmin Edge 200 I have just purchased is working more reliably.. even managed to detect a segment yesterday on strava, though in snow, a mountain bike and studded tyres it may be a while before I compete for any QOM's

Powely

Certainly taking the most direct route! ;) I do suspect it's partly due to the 3G in your area though, as my friend lives in Kelsall and really struggles with her signal, so a phone upgrade my not help anyway. Off subject but are you doing the 90 mile Liverpool/Chester ride this Summer. It runs through Delemere. I'm considering it but I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up the steady pace. Need to complete it in 7 hours.

Certainly taking the most direct route! ;) I do suspect it's partly due to the 3G in your area though, as my friend lives in Kelsall and really struggles with her signal, so a phone upgrade my not help anyway. Off subject but are you doing the 90 mile Liverpool/Chester ride this Summer. It runs through Delemere. I'm considering it but I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up the steady pace. Need to complete it in 7 hours.

Hi - 3G and GPS are not the same are they? We get a good GPS signal here (4 out of 5 bars) so more the phone than anything else. 3G signal is also pretty decent at home - we used it for broadband when we first move in. Our 'remote area' GPS device has no issues and locks on very quickly and the new Garmin Edge 200 also homes in on GPS signal very quickly even in snow - tried it out for the first time yesterday.

Anyhow the ride - suspect not. most I have managed so far is 55 miles in 1 sitting, and more normally 45 miles which is getting easier with the bad leg, though I guess at some point I may have to consider stopping classing it as the bad leg given I need to get my head around it being permanent... and 7 hours would be pushing it a bit too much too soon with the leg I think, still having physio and can't walk too far yet but cycling is coming on well enough now.

Powely

Hi - 3G and GPS are not the same are they? We get a good GPS signal here (4 out of 5 bars) so more the phone than anything else. 3G signal is also pretty decent at home - we used it for broadband when we first move in. Our 'remote area' GPS device has no issues and locks on very quickly and the new Garmin Edge 200 also homes in on GPS signal very quickly even in snow - tried it out for the first time yesterday.

Anyhow the ride - suspect not. most I have managed so far is 55 miles in 1 sitting, and more normally 45 miles which is getting easier with the bad leg, though I guess at some point I may have to consider stopping classing it as the bad leg given I need to get my head around it being permanent... and 7 hours would be pushing it a bit too much too soon with the leg I think, still having physio and can't walk too far yet but cycling is coming on well enough now.

I have always thought the GPS was fed through the 3G, I may be wrong, probably am. Sounds like the Garmin is doing it's job anyway.

Oh didn't realise you had an issue with your leg. I'm not sure I am up to it either, my furthest ever ride is 50 miles so 90 might be a bit much, just tempted to try, (just don't want to let any potential sponsors down). Anyway I just thought I'd ask as you were so close to the route.

I have always thought the GPS was fed through the 3G, I may be wrong, probably am. Sounds like the Garmin is doing it's job anyway.

Oh didn't realise you had an issue with your leg. I'm not sure I am up to it either, my furthest ever ride is 50 miles so 90 might be a bit much, just tempted to try, (just don't want to let any potential sponsors down). Anyway I just thought I'd ask as you were so close to the route.
don't worry - the issue with the leg is a dog redesigned it whilst I was cycling around the world... +100 stitches, severed major artery, severed major nerve, punctured major vein, some muscle damage etc... there's a link in my signature. day 350 part 2 is only for the more brave and not for around meal times! (pictures are only after it was stitched up under local though, not before - should have done but didn't fancy it at the time sitting at the side of the road with my blood freezing on the tarmac in -15C!)

Powely

don't worry - the issue with the leg is a dog redesigned it whilst I was cycling around the world... +100 stitches, severed major artery, severed major nerve, punctured major vein, some muscle damage etc... there's a link in my signature. day 350 part 2 is only for the more brave and not for around meal times! (pictures are only after it was stitched up under local though, not before - should have done but didn't fancy it at the time sitting at the side of the road with my blood freezing on the tarmac in -15C!)

Sorry to be a wimp but think I'll wait until I have finished my lunch. Hope you manage ok with it. Sounds like your more active than me despite of it!

davefb

Guru
YIKES!! ( not clicked on that before :-O )

gunna have to read all that later... ... think you need a gun for next time out... hugs to you and mr satnavsays

Top Bottom