Good move to get the riff raff out the city centre pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

probably just move the hassle onto another pub mind you although the city centre in Glasgow is not too bad to be fair. Certain huge pubs like this though with 5 bouncers on the door and none inside kind of defeats the purpose. Let them in, let then down cheap shots all night and the place is too mobbed to get anywhere near the trouble if it kicks off.

Hit the owners in the pocket is what I say! they'll soon learn!

Brawl pub is closed on the spot

One of Glasgow’s busiest bars has been forced to close in the city’s first example of the instant sanctions now available to authorities from Scotland’s new alcohol laws.

The Sports Cafe in Sauchiehall Street has had to shut for a fortnight following a major incident where two men were left seriously injured after a fight involving pool cues and glasses.

Licensing officials have also insisted the pub, which bills itself as “the west of Scotland’s premier live sporting venue” imposes a raft of conditions including the banning of glassware.

The bar’s two week “sin bin” gives it the dubious honour of being the first Glasgow licensed premises subjected to a “premises review”, a change in the law that allows police and licensing boards to intervene early where they have concerns over the running of pubs, clubs and off-sales.

Under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005, police no longer have to wait until a licence is up for renewal – which could have been up to three years in the future – or build a sufficiently grim picture to lodge

objections against a particular venue. Licensing boards also have a broader range of time-limited sanctions they can impose.

The new act means venues cannot lodge instant appeals, a process that could take several years and allow the premises to remain open throughout.

The Sports Cafe’s sanctions from the Glasgow Licensing Board were issued on Monday and took effect at 11am yesterday.

One source said: “It’s an appropriate sanction which will hit the owners financially and, one would expect, focus their attention on improving things. It’s one of those places which raises its head from time to time but never sufficiently for there to have been a major suspension or loss of licence. This is a shot across the bows for them and others as to what’s available under the new Act to the authorities.”

The incident that sparked the suspension occurred late last October when a major fight broke out at the venue’s pool table involving around a dozen men, which left two seriously injured.

Stewards required to monitor the pool table area were not there when the row happened, which was the police’s main concern when it called for the review on Monday.

The board has imposed a “terminal hour of midnight for playing pool”, is demanding “all areas of the premises should be adequately stewarded at all times”, that the policy of using toughened glass or plastic be extended from just post-midnight to “throughout the licensed hours”, and that “no alcohol to be consumed at the pool tables”.

Stephen Dornan, chairman of the licensing board, said: “It is the intention of the board to maintain our city’s reputation as a fun and safe place for patrons of licensed premises and the board will use any powers it has at its disposal to do so.

“The conditions attached reflect the unanimous concerns of board members in relation to a police report regarding the premises’s response to a serious assault that occurred at the Sports Cafe. We are determined to stamp out anti-social behaviour of this kind.”

Chief inspector Stuart Neil, Strathclyde Police’s head of licensing, said: “This sends a clear message that the police will seek a review of a licence as a means of early intervention in an effort to reduce alcohol related crime and disorder.”

A Sports Cafe spokesman said: “We were very shocked and surprised to have had our licence revoked for two weeks following a review … particularly as we work closely with the police and licensing authorities on a weekly basis to provide a safe environment for our customers.

We are going to use the two weeks to review all our policies and procedures while also refurbishing the venue and will be back open on February.”

However, a sign on the main entrance read: “We are currently closed for an exciting new refurbishment. Come and join us on Monday 5 February for the Big relaunch!”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...-spot-1.999997

Not really qualified to comment on the overall issues here, but this:
...including the banning of glassware.
looks good to me: something I would like to see imposed nationwide (the rest of UK too). Ban all glass containers and utensils for anything connected with alcohol. Pubs, clubs, supermarkets, the lot.

Apart from making life a tad easier for those having to do the stitching up in A&E, might put a few 'fairies' back in their place too (cycling past some town centre pubs on a Sunday morning is not a lot of fun).

Any mileage in that?

There was a story on our local TV news (SE England) about some unfortunate guy who'd been 'glassed' in a pub. Apparently came within a mm or two of severing his carotid artery or whatever, which would have been fatal. And though he's been patched up, he's scarred for life...

gavintc

Guru
661-Pete said:
looks good to me: something I would like to see imposed nationwide (the rest of UK too). Ban all glass containers and utensils for anything connected with alcohol. Pubs, clubs, supermarkets, the lot.

Apart from making life a tad easier for those having to do the stitching up in A&E, might put a few 'fairies' back in their place too (cycling past some town centre pubs on a Sunday morning is not a lot of fun).

Any mileage in that?

There was a story on our local TV news (SE England) about some unfortunate guy who'd been 'glassed' in a pub. Apparently came within a mm or two of severing his carotid artery or whatever, which would have been fatal. And though he's been patched up, he's scarred for life...

Sorry, but I am not drinking my Preseco in a local wine bar from a plastic cup. If the neds cannot handle their drink, that is their problem, but do not tar all drinkers with the same brush.

661-Pete said:

Because beer, whisky and wine taste so much better in plastic. One of the dumbest ideas to come out of the nanny state in years.

It must be something in the glass that makes people violent, oh yes, the booze!

Next all pool cues will be rubber and all darts magnetic. Bar stools will be replaced by bean bags and all food served in pubs must be finger food as cutlery is a weapon.

Happiness Stan

Wow with all those changes, yobs might have to resort to using their fists, boots and head.

Or can we ban those too?

Happiness Stan

Rhythm Thief said:
It's hardly proportional to ban glassware nationwide just because a few people use it as a weapon, surely? I've been drinking from glasses in pubs for a quarter of a century and I've never even seen a glassing, let alone been tempted to carry one out.

You must drink at some nice establishments. Or I don't:sad:

Having said that I haven't seen any since I moved out of Mansfield 20 years ago.

Ahh that would be why then.

gavintc said:
Sorry, but I am not drinking my Preseco in a local wine bar from a plastic cup. If the neds cannot handle their drink, that is their problem, but do not tar all drinkers with the same brush.
In much the same vein, do not tar all airline passengers with the same brush. Why should I have to have my bags X-rayed and go through that silly scanner? I've never carried a bomb on board an aircraft have I?...

Sorry, but it may come to pass that we all need to make sacrifices in the interests of safety. Certainly on the few occasions when I drink alcohol, I'd be happy for it to be served up in plastic.

Perhaps the top-notch vintage wines (costing more than say £20 per bottle) could be exempt...

I knew full well that my suggestion would be contentious! But bear in mind, I'm speaking as a cyclist as much as an (occasional) pub-goer.

661-Pete said:
In much the same vein, do not tar all airline passengers with the same brush. Why should I have to have my bags X-rayed and go through that silly scanner? I've never carried a bomb on board an aircraft have I?...

Sorry, but it may come to pass that we all need to make sacrifices in the interests of safety. Certainly on the few occasions when I drink alcohol, I'd be happy for it to be served up in plastic.

It is solving the symptom rather than the problem. I have heard of stabbings with knives and screwdrivers. Ban them? Then what we do?

Attempt to solve the actual problem, lack of respect.
Perhaps put far more (and visible) police around so people know that they will not get away with being antisocial or idiotic?

To quote Benjamin Franklin;
“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

There was a suggestion that it is not just the alcohol, but the mixers.

Mixing "Red Bull" and similar gives you hyped up and buzzzing drunks as oposed to drunks that fall asleep in the corner.

Research in the States also shows that users of these drinks are less able to estimate their alcohol intake, are more llikely to be involved in violence and show poorer judgement than those drinking alcohol alone

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Cunobelin said:
There was a suggestion that it is not just the alcohol, but the mixers.

Mixing "Red Bull" and similar gives you hyped up and buzzzing drunks as oposed to drunks that fall asleep in the corner.

Research in the States also shows that users of these drinks are less able to estimate their alcohol intake, are more llikely to be involved in violence and show poorer judgement than those drinking alcohol alone

That's why there is so much trouble associated with Buckfast drinkers. It's full of caffeine

pubrunner

Legendary Member
A simple solution to remove the yobs, is to have Classical music playing in the background; cheap, easy and surprisingly effective !

OP
OP
G

Greedo

pubrunner said:
A simple solution to remove the yobs, is to have Classical music playing in the background; cheap, easy and surprisingly effective !

Agreed. There was a row of shops in Glasgow having huge trouble with neds hanging about and causing trouble every night. One of the shops started playing classical music and they buggered off. Stopped it and they came back. Now it's on all the time and no trouble :sad:

User1314 said:
It's not the drink, it's the person. Surely.

I can go out and get hammered with mates without none of us wanting a fight.

Agree with that as well, I'm the same but know people who when they have just that bit too much start getting arsey. This pub is a notorious haunt of the lower down the social scale types and after tanning 50p shots all night end up being dicks.

Top Bottom