Good old days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
The main thing I noticed was how little traffic there was on the roads (and so few vehicles parked up alongside too). Cycling to work must have been a breeze in 1967 ... ^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do you want 'faceblocked' people on your rides? Are any of the current KLWNBUG 'members' 'faceblocked'?
Yes and yes.

bigjim

Legendary Member
And what should they do for their "faceblocked" members? Exclude them? Facebook is a nice add-on, but should not lead the online activities of any group IMO.
Yes, it should not be the sole form of communication, as I agree it can exclude some riders. A few of our members are computer illiterate, quite happily and why not/ But they are in regular touch with other members who keep them informed. Some of the newer clubs are totally FB and I should imagine that can exclude certain sections of the cycling community.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, my apologies. Never give it a thought about non Facebook users such as is my life. Will try better next time.
Thanks for posting anyway. The video was quite interesting once I was finally able to watch it. I used @jefmcg's link (thanks for that!) but strangely enough, the video in the original post now works for me. I wonder if someone at the BBC was reading this thread and changed permissions on it?

I was thinking how old everything looked and imagining that it would have been a few years before I was born. In fact it was 1967. I was 11 years old then and had been living in Coventry for 4 years. I am feeling ancient now!

Yes, the roads looked really empty. That was why my parents allowed me to ride a bike on Coventry's roads at the age of 9. My sister has a photo taken from outside the family home in the late 60s/early 70s and it is stunning to see how few cars there were in the picture. Probably 5 or 6 in total. if you took the same picture now there would probably be nearer 100.

As for the bikes ... I don't think that BBC reporters would be allowed to hop on and off bikes like those now - a health & safety review would probably conclude that the risks of endoing and faceplanting were too high. And the woman on the front of that strange tandem would NOT be "acting as a windbreak" since both riders were powering the same bike!

Ah, my apologies. Never give it a thought about non Facebook users such as is my life. Will try better next time.
Post what you like. If people don't want to do what is required to see, they can move on. There are billions of things on the internet to look at. I don't mean those who say "I can't see this". It seems reasonable to help them if you can. But those who seem to object to the BBC using the places their licensees are to share content, just put them on ignore.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
People should also ignore posters with usernames that start with men's names misleadingly, shouldn't they? ;)

I wonder if someone at the BBC was reading this thread and changed permissions on it?
Big Brother Corporation :ph34r:

As for the bikes ... I don't think that BBC reporters would be allowed to hop on and off bikes like those now - a health & safety review would probably conclude that the risks of endoing and faceplanting were too high.
Anyone else notice that a few mounts/dismounts weren't shown? I imagine a team of holders, lifters and catchers... I also wondered what was on the other end of the long microphone cable - someone running alongside, or a motor vehicle?

D

Deleted member 1258

The main thing I noticed was how little traffic there was on the roads (and so few vehicles parked up alongside too). Cycling to work must have been a breeze in 1967 ... ^_^

I honestly can't remember, I'd just left school and was working in a local fruit shop, so just riding a couple of miles each way on a Dawes Kingpin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom