Good place to cycle in Southern Ireland this summer please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I remember being lost down south and asking for directions from an old chap sitting with a pipe and a blackthorn stick outside the stereotypical Irish country pub somewhere.

His first words

"well now, I wouldn't be starting from here..........."

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I remember being lost down south and asking for directions from an old chap sitting with a pipe and a blackthorn stick outside the stereotypical Irish country pub somewhere.

His first words

"well now, I wouldn't be starting from here..........."

We had exactly that line back in March last year in south west Ireland in the early stages of our tour. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=y&page_id=182535&v=dF

"We have also come across the least useful of Irish directions today - I know they were trying to be helpful, but when asking us if we were OK and us just wanting to confirm that the road we were on was the one we thought it was, the reply of "Oh I would not start from here, if I was going to XXX, I would start from YYY" is not really particularly useful! Still it did leave us something to joke about for quite some time to come."

Belfastox

Regular
South-West Donegal - Glencolmcille and the surrounding area (especially Sliabh Liag) absolutely stunning, rugged landscapes, mountains to avoid and the Atlantic for paddling. And, just to corroborate an earlier comment - don't count on the weather being any different in 'the summer', it just means the rain may be a little warmer......

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I asked an old guy where the Dart station was and he went on to tell me every station along the Line to Dublin.

I suppose I should have asked "Where is the nearest Dart station"

Steve

classic33

Leg End Member
Down the West Coast Cycleway.
Or from Mayo to Clare. With the "motorway" now open a while, the heavier traffic tends to be on this, leaving the main roads
quieter than they were.

And I can confirm it rains there.

Top Bottom