Good ride today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spork

Hi all,

In an effort to get myself used to cycling and work up to riding to and from work, my partner and I went for a jolly jaunt to my place of work today. I've been trying to go out every Sunday, but failing that typically and going out every other Sunday instead. I've been on about 6 runs now, but I have to say today was the most enjoyable one. Nice weather, little bit of rain towards the end, but nothing really to bother us too much. Very nice drivers, all passing with plenty of room, letting us in and out of junctions, even flashing us through an right turn which I thought was really considerate. Not sure it's just because I was wearing a 'builder's' yellow hivis, and my otherhalf in one that looks like a paramedics 'vis. Either way, just made me feel much better about being on the road. This is a major thing as building up my road confidence is major stepping stone to make this a regular thing. I've read so many stories on this site of bad drivers it's almost put me off the whole thing.

I think my fitness levels are improving. It was only about 10 miles today (lots of stopping so I could blow my nose) but I didn't feel like my lungs were trying to jump out my mouth too often and my recovery rate is vastly better than my first ride out. I can cope with the out of breath, sweating like a sweaty thing, but my bloody hips don't half give me jip. :huh: I've read often on here that people's knees give them problems, but mine are fine. I have the same hip trouble if I walk for miles and miles. It's not nice.

I've also got an application on my phone that I can track my travels, pretty good, it gives me average and top speed, maps of the route, altitude and if I had the monitor, heart rate tracking. Does anyone else use the Nokia Sports Tracker? I think using this will help me keep up with the cycling as it's giving me a clear view of my progress and I'm trying to improve on it each time.

Just wish my hips didn't hurt so much, anyone else have this?

Adasta

building up my road confidence is major stepping stone to make this a regular thing. I've read so many stories on this site of bad drivers it's almost put me off the whole thing.

Reading Cyclecraft will arm you with a lot of knowledge which will help you with confidence. You can find a copy for about £8 if you shop around.

I can cope with the out of breath, sweating like a sweaty thing, but my bloody hips don't half give me jip. :huh: I've read often on here that people's knees give them problems, but mine are fine. I have the same hip trouble if I walk for miles and miles. It's not nice.

It sounds like you need to see a chiropractor. It's not uncommon for people's hips to be out of alignment for many reasons. My sister found out she was born with a mild hip problem which sometimes flares up. It could also be deferred pain from another part of your body; perhaps overly tight hamstrings or lower back? Anyway, go to someone qualified - either a sports therapist or chiropractor - and see what s/he has to say. It's almost always worth the money.
Congratulations for making the effort to get out and ride a bike by the way! :bravo:

forwater

Grats on the bike ride! I myself usually ride alone, but that's because my room-mate doesn't have a bike. I envy you the fact that you have a riding buddy!

I wonder, do you find the rides during which you have a buddy to be easier/more enjoyable?

I'm sorry to hear that your hips are hurting. I don't ever have that issue, so like the guy above me said, maybe you should see a doctor to get checked out. I have a back issue which sometimes makes walking and standing up / bending over / sitting very painful, but riding the bike fortunately doesn't aggravate this at all! I can go places without being in pain because for some reason bike riding doesn't irritate my back. I'm very happy to have discovered this.

Are you certain your bike is adjusted properly to 'fit' you?

This is a major thing as building up my road confidence is major stepping stone to make this a regular thing. I've read so many stories on this site of bad drivers it's almost put me off the whole thing.

Hi Spork,

Folk only tend to post the negative to let off steam, etc and its more interesting. They are muppets out there but it not as common as you would interpret from these threads, get the aforementioned Cyclecraft, its god good tips on how to reduce the muppet factor further.

OP
OP
S

Spork

Thanks for the posts peeps. I've suffered back problems in the past, combination of a 7 years of a very manual job and poor posture, I thought cycling would make it flare up but thankfully it's not affected it at all, a really bonus in my eyes, like yourself forwater I was suprised and pleased that it's not an issue.

I think I will see a doc about my hips. TBH, too many years of being fobbed of with my back, I think I've just come to accept pain as part of a normal life, plus I don't want to cause a fuss as my past Docs have been very uncaring about anything I've gone to them for. Think I will need to do something about it otherwise I think I'm aiming for a hip replacement before I'm 35!l

I'm going to look at raising my seat and handle bars on the next ride. Currently I have a bend to my leg but I think I'll try it a little straighter, I'll raise the bars at the same time otherwise I'll be too hunched over and I know that will cause pain in my back.

As for the cycle buddy, it's useful as he's lived in this area all his life so knows the good routes to follow, however I know I hinder him as since he's got a Boardman Pro, he just wizzes along, much faster than his post bike, and much faster than me. I feel I have to keep up (good to push myself) but I do like to go my own pace (i.e. slightly slower when my hips are starting to hurt). I think it will be much like when I past my driving test, it will be VERY weird riding on my own as I'm use to having someone with me. When I start going out on my own I will let you know how I get on!

OP
OP
S

Spork

Oh, thanks for the link the cyclecraft. I've also read a cycle guide off this or another forum (can't remember) and things like taking the primary is a new concept for me which makes so much sense it's unreal. I'll look at getting a copy.

HLab - I can understand it, and from a noob's perspective it's a eye opener to the dangers and it's made me more aware as a driver of the dangers cyclist face, I hope it's made me a safer driver. However, as a flip I thought I'd acknowledge that I had a really nice experience today with motorist treating me with respect. As a driver it would probably be forgotten by the time you get home, but being on a bike, you appreciate the little gestures of getting covered by a car which means you didn't have a stop in the middle of a main road doing a right turn.

Adasta

I think I will see a doc about my hips. TBH, too many years of being fobbed of with my back, I think I've just come to accept pain as part of a normal life, plus I don't want to cause a fuss as my past Docs have been very uncaring about anything I've gone to them for.

From past experience (with my knee, not my back) NHS referrals for physio have a 3-6 month waiting list. I had a chat with my Doctor at the time who told me that, if you have the money, it's worthwhile going private.

I had gone to my Doctor simply to have my self-diagnosis confirmed. He asked me if I had looked on the internet when I told him the condition I thought I had to which I said "Yes"! Nevertheless, I had all the symptoms and he confirmed that I had a problem.

Take a look at this website. It has nice, brief overviews of back/hip pain which can allow you to investigate further. It's worth having a look just for peace of mind, but be careful not to over-exaggerate your condition to "fit" the profile. Have a chat with your Doctor about it afterwards but remember that you are the only person with privileged access to your feelings; don't let the Doctor bat away your symptoms if you are genuinely suffering.

Good luck!

Top Bottom