Good sleeping....what method do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I just can't seem to sleep properly.
The Docs. can't do nowt.
I admit that I have not tried anything liek Nightol or other sleeping ailments as of yet as I don't want to rely on them.
I eat well, I exercise, I drink plenty of water...but I can't sleep well.
I try to relax by reading or sitting in the living room with the light off watching TV (nothing stimulating...generally something boring) in a bid to try and relax.

The main issue is waking up early.
I can generally get to sleep ok.....but it's waking up early that does my head in.
I've not slept properly for as long as I can remember.
Whilst I'm coping with it and going to work ok....I'd like to think I can find out the cause and deal with it so that I don't have to just 'Cope' with it but resolve it.
Any suggestions?
oh, by the way...I'm in a sedentary job....sit on my A*** all day.
Perhaps I'm not burning enough calories?????:ohmy:

graham56

Guru
Got my sympathy steven, have the same problem, get to sleep no bother but tend to wake at around 3am. During the summer months get up and go for a spin at around 4-4:30 its great when you have the road to yourself. Winter is the killer, either lie in bed wide awake or get up and read. Maybe should look for a job that has an early start:smile:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I'm an early riser, 5ish this morning. Been like it for years. Always woke early and sleep less than most, unless i'm exhausted.

Lots of things to try, but i think the best thing i did was to stop worrying about and get used to waking early and using that time effectively. Ironically i now sleep more. You may just need less sleep, like me.

Avoiding Caffeine was big one for me, and drinking Camomile tea in the evening really helped. Learning to relax, i mean properly relax helps too.

I use these tablets i got every now and then if my sleep pattern goes haywire, but only to get my sleep pattern back to normal. Get a full nights sleep for 3 nights and then stop taking them. it seems to shift my circadian rhythms back into sync and then i can sleep properly again.

col

Legendary Member
Is your mind overactive?are you thinking about things,this can stop you sleeping too.I read somewhere that writing a list of things you have on your mind down,and then forgetting them for the night ,is something to try?havnt tried it myself,but may be worth a go?

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I think daily struggles in my life are to blame.
Financial concerns.....am working on it.....I'm ok...just a little tighter each month than I'd like to be....but I know that in 11 months time things will be a lot better.
Dad recently announced his engagement to his lady and that he'll be moving out shortly....that was a shock.
Split up with the GF.
Now the car needs fixing....not a worry but something I could have done without.
I don't let them get to me.
That said.
Before I even met my ex I wasn't sleeping well...it's been like this for about 3 years.
Maybe it's my surroundings......neighbours banging doors, arguing, shouting etc etc.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

col said:
Is your mind overactive?are you thinking about things,this can stop you sleeping too.I read somewhere that writing a list of things you have on your mind down,and then forgetting them for the night ,is something to try?havnt tried it myself,but may be worth a go?

Yeah, I heard that too.
Will give it a go.:ohmy:

Steven - I almost posted on sleep the other day...:ohmy: Why not edit your post to include a poll on this subject too.

What is your normal sleep regime, how many hours sleep a night do you get on average and what would your ideal be? Have you tried going to bed earlier, for a few days consistently - to allow your biological clock to adjust - and then seen what time you still wake up...? I know I go to bed too late - and want to try and consistently get to bed between 11-12am.

When I've woken early recently I think it's because for some reason I haven't been comfortable (hot etc), or needed a drink...and then because I've already had some sleep I'm not tired enough to get back to sleep again. I also have a degree of tinnitus, which although unlikely to wake me, may make it more difficult to get back to sleep... General or underlying stress, or, a particular issue can be a factor with waking early IMO. But exercise and proper 'winding down' would help this, as would talking about the problem with someone.

I think it's important not to get stressed about waking early so that it becomes as cycle, and gets worse... So if it's possible to get to sleep consistently earlier, to get enough sleep, and be positive and productive about waking a earlier, this might be a way forward - something I want to try...

Edit...Just seen your last post...Boots foam ear plugs are good for cutting noise.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Cheers fot the advice.
I use ear plugs as it happens. Have been for a couple of years. Try not to use them every now and again but with neighbours and daily 'going's on' in the neighbourhood there's always distractions.

I reckon I need 7 hours a night consistently.
Last night I had about 6.
But previous nights it's all different. 5, 7, 6, 4.6 and so on.

I do have perenial sinusitis but of late it's been ok. I can breath through my nose fine at the moment....thank god.

I know Steve mentioned caffeine. I do drink about 4 cups of tea a day...but the last 2 night's I haven't been drinking tea after 7pm.

Is Green leaf tea any better to drink? I often drink that.

I don't count sheep; just Mr Hippo's ducks! :biggrin:

Years ago, I heard about a Japanese technique, whereby when you've gone to bed, you should take very slow and deep breaths (to slower your heartbeat), slowly slowly close your eyes, and then imagine or visualise the very room you are lying in without you in it!
Apparantly your mind can't come to terms with the body not being there (or something like that :o) and closes the body down.
I must admit that on the few times I did struggle getting to sleep (due to an active, sometimes disturbed mind) this technique DID work!

Keith Oates

Janner
I also have the waking up early problem but in almost in every case it's because I have something on my mind. The silly thing is that the things on my mind are not necessarily important or serious (of course they are sometimes) but I just keep thinking, crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Phoebus

Having read some of your other posts, I'm in agreement with the previous replies that it's the turmoil in your life at the moment.

stevenb said:
Is Green leaf tea any better to drink? I often drink that.

It contains loads of flavonoids, great for mopping up free radicals.
It won't cure your insomnia though.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

When I was in my previous job I was told about a technique similar to the one Davyo mentioned. You tense up your muscles from toes up to your head. one by one relaxing them, then picturing yourself in tranquil surroundings. I tired this and I felt myself nodding off in the classroom....
I am like Keith at the moment whereby I'm thinking of thibngs and even imagining ridiculous situations that aren't happening....
I often get up in the night to pee but I think most of us do.....normally I don't have any trouble getting back to sleep.

Sabreur

Is it just me or do minutes around 2 am last for hours

Lying in bed awake at that point after waking from a (recurring) nightmare,I can feel my heart beating and so know time is passing but the clock that's in my line of sight refuses to click over.

So either my heart rate is a heck of a lot faster than my medcation allows, or relativity theory is incomplete.

Top Bottom