Good Stuff about Technology and the Internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As someone who was introduced to computers as a kid with Sinclair and BBC Micro and then to basic internet in my twenties, what stuff amazes you. My kids aren't phased by any of it as tech was advanced.

PS they both think Space Invaders is hard.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Some good stuff.

Stag Doo in Budapest. Best man booked restraunt on both nights on line in advance and we found them using online maps. Back street places you wouldn't have gone without stuff like trip advisor.

I lost my glasses last week on holiday. Quickly located an optician in the next resort. On line bus time tables available, google maps to optician. No eye tests available when I arrived, but found my last prescription from 5 years ago on line via my phone. New glasses 30 minutes later whilst I had a beer.

So many advances in technology.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Big one for us. Insulin pumps.

Then Freestyle Libre sensors for my son's blood sugars.

It's that good he's virtually stopped finger picking for blood tests. It lasts two weeks stuck to his arm. Its managed every day in the pool and sea and in a water park. We just use some additional sports tape to keep it in place. He scans his blood via his phone and it automatically uploads to my phone and the hospital records. Anywhere in the world.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The great god that is google. Don't know what i would do without it (even though i don't like it very much).

Sat navs as well. And broadband. All that info coming from somewhere, going somewhere, into peoples homes.

Online shopping. A blessing and a bane.

Technology in general amazes me, as i don't understand how most of it works. :laugh:

I know people hate Google for privacy, but as someone who has bugger all to hide, it's ace. Nearest ATM in a foreign country, maps etc.
I agree. Beats having to pop along to the local library to look at the encyclopedia whenever you were desperate to know something.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The great god that is google. Don't know what i would do without it (even though i don't like it very much).
You'd probably just have to visit the sources of the data that google uses through other websites. There's not much that is unique to google except the stalker ad engine which makes most of their money.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am constantly amazed by the power of modern tech.

Bought a newish car last week. Walked in to the garage with a not inconsiderate amount of money in my bank account and a Kindle Fire in my pocket. After agreeing the deal, I transferred the money using the garage Wi-Fi, the salesman popped upstairs to the accounts office and came back 2 minutes later to confirm the money was in their account. I then insured the car instantly by phone, taxed it online and drove it away in just a couple of hours.

Similarly, I top-up my sons phone at the supermarket till and the text to confirm the top-up arrives at his phone before I finish putting my card wallet away...... AMAZING!

Top Bottom