Good Useful Websites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I use ~duckduckgo~ as my search engine. I rarely go to Google now, (and hate it being used as a verb!)
Wouldn't once have been enough to say it? 13 times is stretching it a bit!

speccy1

I always said I'd never use an ad blocker but I've now installed Ad Block Plus. I want to support the websites I visit but I don't like the extreme lengths some advertisers will go to to show ads so I block all ads except the ones ABP allows.

AllMusic is one of the worst. I can't find another site as good for music but the ads make the site virtually unusable (some ads actually stop the search box working properly).

Just downloaded this, love it! I keep looking at the counter at the top of the screen to see how much crap I no longer have to suffer, brilliant piece of kit! Websites seem to look so clean because all the clutter is gone

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Just downloaded this, love it! I keep looking at the counter at the top of the screen to see how much crap I no longer have to suffer, brilliant piece of kit! Websites seem to look so clean because all the clutter is gone

Methinks they've killed the golden goose.

andyfraser

Über Member
Methinks they've killed the golden goose.
If you mean the ad industry then I agree. I didn't mind ads when they were just a few blocks of text and some pictures. If they'd stayed like that a few would installer a blocker but most wouldn't. I understand that ads were becoming less effective but instead of maybe targeting them better they decided to run ads playing video and making noise and covering the whole page and taking up so much space that more and more people have had enough.

We went through this before with pop ups. All the browsers ended up with pop up blockers built in because there were so many complaints.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can't see 'duckduckgo' becoming a verb somehow...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Did you see google becoming so? I've dropped the latter, too much trying to do things I didn't want to. Only disadvantage so far is that I have to go to google maps if I want to use them.
Never really thought about it. What do you suppose the past tense would be? 'I duckduckwent that'?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
An alternative to Adblock+ is uBlock Origin. I also run a script blocker, some scripts I allow & others I block. It's worth remembering that ads are often used as a means of getting malware onto your computer.
In relation to adblocking i have adblock and no script but recently i have been seeing hyperlinks in blue on cyclechat , halfords, amazon and ebay .

I have run the full scan of malware stuff and not found anything ?

Top Bottom