Good value Laptop advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks Guys, really appreciate all the advice.

Crackle, I thought it ticked all the right boxes too and I can just afford.

Van Nick, that's very temting, but just £100 too much, though the bigger screen has appeal. She can always use our main computer with bigger screen if needed from time to time.

Cheers

...nervously getting the Credit-card out...

Van Nick

Fab Foodie said:
Ooooohhhh

Should I go Windows XP instead of Vista?

I don't where they're up to with service packs on Vista - they must be close to ironing all the major bugs out.

My advice: Only go XP if you have peripherals to attach which you don't have Vista drivers for, or software which won't run under XP, or you really don't like Vista, otherwise take Vista (XP was £12 more anyway).

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Thanks Guys!!!

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help.

I've just ordered the Dell 'as-is' plus a 3 year hardware warranty...I'm now going for a big glass of red and a disturbed night of post-purchase dissonance :biggrin:

Certain on the day, she'll be pleased as punch and even though she's giving me a teenagery hard-time right now...she's worth it.:biggrin:

Fab Foodie said:
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help.

I've just ordered the Dell 'as-is' plus a 3 year hardware warranty...I'm now going for a big glass of red and a disturbed night of post-purchase dissonance :biggrin:

Certain on the day, she'll be pleased as punch and even though she's giving me a teenagery hard-time right now...she's worth it.:biggrin:

Nice one FF, just remember if for any reason you change your mind (within 10? working days) they'll take it back. I ordered a Dell Precision initially with a native 1920x1200 pixel res on a 15.4in screen., great for pics, but a lot of text was v.small, and a bit of a strain... Dell took it back, and I chose another from them. In fact it was them that phoned me up to see how I was getting on with it...

Andy

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

andyoxon said:
Nice one FF, just remember if for any reason you change your mind (within 10? working days) they'll take it back. I ordered a Dell Precision initially with a native 1920x1200 pixel res on a 15.4in screen., great for pics, but a lot of text was v.small, and a bit of a strain... Dell took it back, and I chose another from them. In fact it was them that phoned me up to see how I was getting on with it...

Andy

Good News indeed. I'm using a Dell Inspiron for work and apart fom the weight to lug around airports etc, it's a fine machine. Oh well, my daughter can show me how to use it!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've not been round for a day or so, glad you found something. I have a 1440x900 res but other people think it's too small. Some people like truelife (if you got it), some don't.

Top Bottom