1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good XC lightweight tyre?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by stevenb, 1 Sep 2007.

1. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Anyone recommend a good lightweight (preferably not steel belt) XC tyre?
    Panaracer Fire 1.8's any good?
    :ohmy:

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Panaracer 1.8s were great all round tyres and still worth the money.

I been using Specialized Houffalize tyres (two for £30 at bike plus) which is a good all round tyre, very cheap too. They look a bit more grippy than others, but roll very fast and grip well. Good in wet conditions too

3. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Another vote for Panaracer Fire XC's. Recommended by everyone I know.

4. barq

barq Senior Member

Yep, the Fire XC Pros are a good all-rounder. The Pros have a kevlar bead, there used to be a cheaper version which was steel and IIRC was generally inferior. So if you see a super cheap version do check what you are getting.

5. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Also how heavy are you?

Mrs TB likes the 1.8s, but I found the 2.1s more controlled and not appreciably slower.

6. OP
    OP
    stevenb

stevenb New Member

I'm 12st 9lbs.
    I don't aim to get above 13st if I can help it.
    Most of the tracks I ride on around here are dusty track, compact gravel, loose stones and branch rooted mud tracks. I'd like a lighter weight tyre that won't sacrifice grip and has minimal rolling resistance. ie the perfect tyre...lol
    At the moment I'm using Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2's and they are like tractors tyres and I can feel the resistance all the time.....although the grip is super.

7. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

nokian gazzaloddi ftw.

8. OP
    OP
    stevenb

stevenb New Member

How about the Panaracer trailblasters?
    Can get a pair from Chain reaction...folding tyres for £30:wacko:

It gets mixed reviews.....but then again I'm sure with my above mentioned terrain they should be ok....????

9. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Many people do rate Trailblasters as a dry summer tyre, but I can't be bothered to switch tyres about and have found that the Fire XCs do well in all conditions. (Muddy roots excepted - but then what does?)

I'm about the same weight as you and find the 2.1s as good as anything, year round, up here. Somepeople say in clay soils in winter a pure mud tyre will clog less, but we don't have those conditions in the Lakes. Either rocky or thin goop.

10. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Another vote for the FIRE XCs. Fast, light and good enough for most conditions. This year I kept mine on all through the year.

11. Cyclista

Cyclista New Member

And another one on Fire XC's, I use the 2.1 folding as I find the 1.8 a bit on the skinny side. Not too keen on the Trailblaster unless it's quite damp/muddy, don't like the feel of the blocks squirming on hardpack climbs.

12. OP
    OP
    stevenb

stevenb New Member

Looks like the XC's then guys.
    Thanks for all your opinions....:ohmy:

13. Maverick Goose

Maverick Goose A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place

Another happy Fire XC user:smile:-also been trying Razer XC PRs which are lower profile knobblies and faster rolling, especially on tarmac/hardpack.

14. christian dieu

christian dieu New Member

I have been using the Razer XC PRs for a month or so and love them. I get a fair few punctures from flint and thorns so the PR bit is useful as it seems to do a good job. And as the 2.1 weighs only 490g it gives a very fast ride uphill.

15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

As posted earlier I've used the Fire XCs in 1.8 size all year..... but last night's ride, which took in a lot of field mud, was a nightmare; the bike went in every direction but straight. Concerned fellow club members checked my treads and decided they were actually slicks and it was time I bought some new ones! So I'm off to Merlin Cycles for a set of Fire XCs in 2.1 size for winter use.