Good XC lightweight tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Tim Bennet. said:
Many people do rate Trailblasters as a dry summer tyre, but I can't be bothered to switch tyres about and have found that the Fire XCs do well in all conditions. (Muddy roots excepted - but then what does?)

I'm about the same weight as you and find the 2.1s as good as anything, year round, up here. Somepeople say in clay soils in winter a pure mud tyre will clog less, but we don't have those conditions in the Lakes. Either rocky or thin goop.

I have a trailblaster on my bike and it's the work of the devil. Very puncture prone and not all that grippy.

I use Trailrakers for winter, which are brilliant in the thick Bristol clay, but as you say, it's dependent on your local conditions.

ratty2k

Heh, I've tried a fair few tyres out. Including some listed here Conti Vertical Pro's and Fire XC pro's. Hated both tyres, maybe just where I ride, but as soon as it got damp those tyres sucked ass big time. I know a few others that are getting off the Fire XC's for the same reason. My tyre of choice for the minute is Kenda Blue groove (F) and a Kenda Nevegal (R) on my hardtail, my fully has the 2.35 Nevegal on the back and a Specialized tyre on the front, that for the life of me cant remember the name of!

I'm a Tioga fan meself like. Red Phoenix or Blue Dragons. Depending on required gnarliness.

Waiting for an excuse to install my IRC Blizzards, may need to move a little further north though.

Top Bottom