Goodbye (Good Old) Yellow Pages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Mine have gone straight in the recycling bin the moment they were delivered for the last 10 years.

Anyone recall phone books on phone boxes, or trying to tear one in half?

I know your post is quite an old one @Drago and I might've replied to it before, but many years ago in the late 1970's after a night out with a friend, as we were walking home friend headed towards a phone box to phone for a taxi, being too pi**ed to walk the five miles home. I carried on walking for a few minutes then turned round to see where he was, only to see the phone box on fire! :ohmy: He'd only gone and set fire to the yellow pages!! He told me as we made a quick exit that the taxi firm hung up on him, so in temper he torched the yellow pages!!:ohmy:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Looking back, those phone boxes had a local directory alongside the yellow pages, both attached to a hook in the phone box by a piece of string. Imagine using that way of contacting folk these days!:rolleyes:

stephec

Legendary Member
Looking back, those phone boxes had a local directory alongside the yellow pages, both attached to a hook in the phone box by a piece of string. Imagine using that way of contacting folk these days!:rolleyes:

A chap like you knows that these new fangled ideas will never catch on though. 😂

I still get a BT Phone Book once a year, though more useful are a couple of local directory style magazines that come monthly with local services.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A chap like you knows that these new fangled ideas will never catch on though. 😂

I didn't like touching the well thumbed pages due to bacteria issues :unsure:, so I flicked them over with a pencil instead. As for the phone's ear and mouth pieces, they were an absolute bed of bacteria!! 🧐

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I still get a BT Phone Book once a year, though more useful are a couple of local directory style magazines that come monthly with local services.

We got the phone book through the door recently and on the front is printed “last one ever”, “keep for posterity “. It’s barely more than a pamphlet and combines the “Yellow Pages” and residential numbers.

We got the phone book through the door recently and on the front is printed “last one ever”, “keep for posterity “. It’s barely more than a pamphlet and combines the “Yellow Pages” and residential numbers.

Just checking and same actually, it shall now become like old argos catalogues a little book of memories lol

Top Bottom