Goodbye Land's End signpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
What? I haven't cycled to it yet. They can't do that!

Why is there even a contract to erect and maintain the sign?
How much would that cost?
A huge amount because that's what it's like.
Thing is if you leave a load of letters there etc they either get rude words put up or stolen.

scragend

Two things I found interesting on the old photo towards the bottom of the article:

1. The apostrophe in "Land's End" looks like it was an afterthought
2. The mileage to John O'Groats was shown as a (conveniently) round 1000, when nowadays it is 874. That's some difference! *

* Google Maps gives it as 870 by road, avoiding motorways. So 874 appears fair enough. Can't think how it was ever 1000!

scragend

Rumours of the signpost's demise may have been premature though.

Cornwall Live said:
A spokesperson for Land's End has since confirmed that a "like for like" signpost will replace the one currently at the landmark and will be operated by Land's End itself. They said: "We are investing significant amounts in the refurbishment of the signpost area and how this will be operated moving forward, but there will most certainly still be a photo opportunity at the iconic signpost available for our visitors."

They further added: "There will be a like for like signpost, exactly the same as is currently there, so the personalised photos will look the same as they currently do now."

Mr. Puddiphatt's quote of "So, from 31st December 2023 there will be no more Courtwoods sign post to have a photo with" may have been worded very carefully. No more Courtwoods signpost, not no signpost at all!

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Two things I found interesting on the old photo towards the bottom of the article:

2. The mileage to John O'Groats was shown as a (conveniently) round 1000, when nowadays it is 874. That's some difference! *

* Google Maps gives it as 870 by road, avoiding motorways. So 874 appears fair enough. Can't think how it was ever 1000!

Isn’t there a bit of controversy if and/or where the apostrophe should be, if at all?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The controversy should be that you have to pay to have a photograph there.

Can't you just snap a selfie, all you want is the John of Groats bit, who gives hoot how far it is to your home village

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was of the understanding that it was a total rip off. If it is his business and he is earning a packet from it. I would have thought he would pay for the upkeep of the sign.

I cannot see what the local council would get out of it. They pay for the sign and he takes the money.

Start at the real lands end and it's over 1000 miles 😄

Top Bottom