Goodbye van, hello e-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Put in an application for an Energy Saving Trust Loan and ordered a Raleigh Trace from local shop DG2 Wheels.

Basically my van needs £2.5k repairs before MOT in mid August. My life has changed since I bought it, no longer travelling regularly between Stornoway and Dumfries (and sleeping in the back), cottage renovation complete and regular trips to local dump and builders merchants have finished, not riding audax events so no travelling with bike and kit in back.

The few times a week I now use the van I could use the bus (I have an O60 bus pass) or a bike. Bus times are sometimes inconvenient and, unfortunately, cycling mileage is restricted at the moment because of polymyalgia. I can manage about 60km and could do the 40km out and back to Dumfries (or 30km Annan trip) more often but it leaves me tired and aching and I sometimes need a couple of days to recover from the ride.

Thinking along the lines that mechanical help uphill and into headwinds (on the bike) for shopping trips etc. will help reduce the fatigue, enable more trips, and I can manage without the van (wife has an electric car so could make arrangements to use that if necessary).

Looking forward to getting bum on the saddle and feet on the pedals of the new bike :smile:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Clean and neat looking bike.

Smallish battery, which might make it a bit tight on your longest round trip, very much depending on how hilly it is and how much effort you can put in.

On the plus side, if you did conk out on the way back, the bike really shouldn't be too bad to ride unassisted.

ExBrit

Über Member
Put in an application for an Energy Saving Trust Loan and ordered a Raleigh Trace from local shop DG2 Wheels.

Basically my van needs £2.5k repairs before MOT in mid August. My life has changed since I bought it, no longer travelling regularly between Stornoway and Dumfries (and sleeping in the back), cottage renovation complete and regular trips to local dump and builders merchants have finished, not riding audax events so no travelling with bike and kit in back.

The few times a week I now use the van I could use the bus (I have an O60 bus pass) or a bike. Bus times are sometimes inconvenient and, unfortunately, cycling mileage is restricted at the moment because of polymyalgia. I can manage about 60km and could do the 40km out and back to Dumfries (or 30km Annan trip) more often but it leaves me tired and aching and I sometimes need a couple of days to recover from the ride.

Thinking along the lines that mechanical help uphill and into headwinds (on the bike) for shopping trips etc. will help reduce the fatigue, enable more trips, and I can manage without the van (wife has an electric car so could make arrangements to use that if necessary).

Looking forward to getting bum on the saddle and feet on the pedals of the new bike :smile:

I'm in the market for an e-bike myself and that is a sweet looking ride.

Gwylan

Veteran

Welcome the ebikosphere!

Wondering if you looked at the belt drive in hub gear versions?
As usual the lack of funds focussed my decision.
But the range looks attractive for the money.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I notice the maximum battery range is given as 50 miles. No experience of that bike but others I have tried would make me think mebbe 40 at the most and 35 to be on the safe side. Depends on terrain and wind strength of course but I tend to err on the pessimistic side.

Drago

Legendary Member
I tend to ignore what anyone says about battery "range" on the basis that it is solely dependent on how much of it I use, and no one else can predict that.

Very tidy looking machine ;)

Dadam

Nice bike, with the same Mahle X35+ system as my Orbea. If I'd been looking for a hybrid rather than a drop bar e-road bike it would have been a contender. I reckon the Mahle hub system is about the sweet spot for all round road use, unless you're very heavy and going up very steep hills.

For me (91kg) range is about 40-45 miles if very hilly and probably approaching double that if flat. I did a 60 mile flat ride and only used about 20% due to keeping the assist off most of the way. As it's a fairly light ebike, using the motor only when you need it is a practical proposition

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
My ebike spents its life going uphill or down having averaged 75ft/mile over 557 miles this year on shopping/commuting rides of the most 15 miles and the majority less than 5. Gets no where near its predicted battery range.

Is the battery removable on that Raleigh? If not it needs to be kept in a warm location as a cold battery will lose its charge.

All uphill

Still rolling along

Great bike!

Back in December 2022 I finally got rid of my old car and have relied on the bike. I can honestly say I haven't missed it once, my main feeling is relief.

I hope things work out as well for you.

OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
Welcome the ebikosphere!

Wondering if you looked at the belt drive in hub gear versions?
As usual the lack of funds focussed my decision.
But the range looks attractive for the money.

Didn't look at belt or hub. I'm a bit of a luddite - this will be my first bike with disc brakes (and an "engine")

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
I notice the maximum battery range is given as 50 miles. No experience of that bike but others I have tried would make me think mebbe 40 at the most and 35 to be on the safe side. Depends on terrain and wind strength of course but I tend to err on the pessimistic side.

Plan is to use it as a utility bike (Dumfries and back, 40km - Annan and back 30km) so battery should be ok. I'll use my Surlys for leisure rides.

Last edited:
Top Bottom