Google and YouTube suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
On YouTube's home screen where they have suggestions about which video you should watch, how happy are you with their choices?

And ditto for news stories on an android phone: when you're on the main screen and you swipe left, those articles come up. Idk how the AI works but I'm not too interested in a lot of it.

AndyRM

XOXO
It's all based on what you've previously searched for.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Ah the Youtube algorithm, if you have a week or two to lose ask a content maker what they think about it.

In short it's all gone a bit loopy since Google started linking it to their Deep AI experiments.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
So basically ifninsearch for something, the it will give me suggestions for things linked to my search. TheefTher if I want to view new things, it won't know what to do .

I needed a wallet so was searching for different brands. Once I had bought it, I was STILL getting suggestions for which wallet I should buy. A right pita.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you want relevant suggestion you need to like the videos you actually like.
Then more of similar will come up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rather than start a new thread, I will report here what I just discovered...

I watched 3 or 4 videos on a particular YouTube channel. The content wasn't too bad, but I got so annoyed with the clickbait*** video titles that I decided not to watch any more. Unfortunately, YouTube's algorithm didn't know that and kept listing new clickbait for me.

I thought that there must be a way of stopping this so I did a quick search and found the answer HERE.

To block a YouTube channel, follow the instructions below. These apply to both the YouTube website and the YouTube mobile app.

1. If you're not already, sign in to your YouTube account.
  2. On the YouTube homepage (this won't work from another page), find a video from a channel that you want to block.
  3. If you're on desktop, hover over the video details. You don't need to do this on mobile.
  4. Select the three vertical dots.
  5. Select Don't recommend channel.
  6. If you made a mistake, select Undo.
You can only undo blocking individual channels immediately. If you want to undo a block later, ALL blocked channels become unblocked so you have to reblock the others. (What a daft decision/oversight by YouTube!)

*** "... sent to prison" (No they weren't!); "... murdered by rival" (Nope, still alive!) and so on...

Last edited:
Top Bottom