Google Drive - is anyone excited?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Because at the moment Google Drive looks very much like a re-branded Google Docs!

I have a Terrabyte of photos I want to get into the cloud for safe keeping, and I was hoping Google Drive was going to be the answer, but it certainly isn't yet!

Doseone

Guru
No, I think they have probably missed the boat as most people who want a cloud service will have one already. I use Dropbox, can't find fault with it and can't be ar$ed to change.

machew

Veteran
Be careful of were you store your data, megaupload users have lost all their data, not all the 25Pb, or 2500Gb was illegal

jamin100

Guru
I was a paid (50GB) dropbox user until last week.
I use about 38GB of cloud storage and was paying dropbox £8 a month for the space.
Microsofts SkyDrive has just had major update and brings it inline with what dropbox does.

So i evaluated SkyDrive,Dropbox and GoogleDrive. Dropbox IS the better service from a feature point of view but SkyDrive offers a few things that really made me think.

Firstly, I can get 50GB from SkyDrive for £16 A YEAR so quite a big saving over dropbox.
Secondly, SkyDrive allows me to access files that are on my server at home remotely via the web. Handy if youve forgotten to upload something.

Google Drive just wasnt there for me. As previously mentioned it looked like an extension of googledocs and whilst i do use Gmail I dont use googledocs

So, I moved everything over from Dropbox and into skydrive.
I still have 10GB Free storage in dropbox that i will continue to use as it will come in handy, but the majority of my files will now reside in skydrive.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Have put all my work stuff onto G drive, and loaded the 'local' prog onto PC and two laptops. Work won't let me have it on work PC, but I'm using it anyway, just downloading what I need to work on. I used to use google docs on a specific project, but dont any more. Just saved Words, Powerpoints etc onto G drive. So far, so good.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Don't like the fact that I can't upload files from Drive on my Android phone to a specific folder. That seems like such a basic requirement.

I've taken up quite a few free cloud storage and synching services offers- don't use them much but they're always useful to have for dropping a file or two on that you want access to from anywhere.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have no restriction with space as I work within Cloud hosting and storage industry. I use very little off it other than for development and temporary storage.
I'm not at a point where I trust the cloud for anything I would like to keep secure or long term.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
ColinJ the cloud is for everyone, the problem is the industry try to suggest its for everything which it is not, try to find a bank which has committed its sensitive data to the cloud.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ the cloud is for everyone, the problem is the industry try to suggest its for everything which it is not, try to find a bank which has committed its sensitive data to the cloud.
I wouldn't fancy storing anything sensitive there without encrypting it first.

The other thing is - I've finally got a reasonable download speed of about 17 Mb/s but am still stuck with a puny 0.7 Mb/s upload speed so storing big files online would take an awfully long time!

Top Bottom