Google Earth........cant open photos now....why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As per title. When you try to click on/open photos there is a message to the effect that the option is no longer available. I thought it was a problem with my computer but have found forums discussing the "arrogance" of Google for doing this.
I did enjoy using that facility to plan rides, holidays or trips etc.
So hundreds of thousands......maybe millions of people have contributed photos over the years and (if I am correct) Google have simply scrapped them.
I hope that I am wrong but it doesnt seem like.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have complained to Google with regard to their abandonment of Picasa and loss of my photo filing system, but they don't even bother to reply.
It's the modern form of Customer Care, we just have to get used to it:sad:.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've just bought a Pixel2 and they are trumpeting about how they give 24/7 support. Any probs and they promise to fix them. We shall see.

Excellent phone by the way.

Last edited:

User269

As per title. When you try to click on/open photos there is a message to the effect that the option is no longer available. I thought it was a problem with my computer but have found forums discussing the "arrogance" of Google for doing this.
So hundreds of thousands......maybe millions of people have contributed photos over the years and (if I am correct) Google have simply scrapped them.

Many are still there, but panaramio has been discontinued. So you must now use the new photo layers option;

Thank you for stopping by.

Panoramio has been discontinued. We’ve appreciated your contributions over the years and hope you will continue to share amazing photos with the world.

Sincerely,

The Panoramio team

Frequently-asked questions

What happened to my Panoramio data?

If your Panoramio profile was linked with your Google account, then all your Panoramio photos are being copied to your Google Album Archive at full resolution (this could take a few weeks). All other data has been permanently deleted.

Will my Panoramio photos continue to appear in Google Earth and Google Maps?

If your Panoramio photos were appearing in Google Maps with the name of your Google Account, then they will continue to appear along with their original view counts. If they were only attributed to your Panoramio username, they will no longer appear. You can view and manage photos by signing in to Google Maps and accessing the Contributions screen from the main menu.

Is there any way to keep posting photos to Google Earth and Google Maps?

Yes - to keep adding photos to Google Maps and engage with a growing community of photographers, join the Local Guides program. You can earn points and unlock rewards for photos submitted with a Google account when they are linked to a point of interest or business.

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have complained to Google with regard to their abandonment of Picasa and loss of my photo filing system, but they don't even bother to reply.
It's the modern form of Customer Care, we just have to get used to it:sad:.
I still use Picasa 3 for editing photos (I downloaded it after they stopped supporting it, when I got a new lappy). It warns you when you download that it's no longer supported, but being a wild-eyed, big-bottomed rebel on the bus to excitement-ville, I don't care :smile:

I never used it for filing though.

I could be a copyright thing.
I put some holiday pics on that Adobe thing for sale and they were rejected as I was infringing the intellectual property of Mt Teide national park by paying to go up the volcano and taking a picture of a cable car. The opinion was that only the park people could make money from the pics.
That's fair enough, but I'm wondering if Google is under the same pressure, as the objects being photographed are not owned by the photographers and some owners have demanded removal.

Still I'm gutted that my contribution of a picture of the bridge at Stepping Stones on the Derwent Reservoir is no longer being admired.

That's fair enough, but I'm wondering if Google is under the same pressure, as the objects being photographed are not owned by the photographers and some owners have demanded removal.
No, that's definitely not the case. I somehow ended up with the title "local guide" and they keep badgering me to add more photos, eg with emails like this

Who Will You Guide Next?
Every day, Local Guides share over a million photos on Google Maps. Watch the video series above to find out how you can take photos that guide people with wheelchairs, families or simply those who love your favourite foods and hobbies.
Then give it a try:
• Choose a theme that matters to you
• Bear this in mind as you share a photo a day on Google Maps
• Use #LetsGuide on social to tell us who you're guiding

No, they've simply cut bait on a project that was no longer deemed was worthwhile. They've done it before and they will do it again. According to wikipedia, a petition to keep it going only got around 10,000 so you can see google's point, i think.

No, that's definitely not the case. I somehow ended up with the title "local guide" and they keep badgering me to add more photos, eg with emails like this

No, they've simply cut bait on a project that was no longer deemed was worthwhile. They've done it before and they will do it again. According to wikipedia, a petition to keep it going only got around 10,000 so you can see google's point, i think.

Fair enough. Perhaps they're going to eventually dump google earth as Google maps is overlapping it too much.

Top Bottom