Google Maps Cycling Option Now In the UK!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by jazloc, 11 Jul 2012.

1. jazloc

jazloc Über Member

DCLane, Uncle Mort and Night Train like this.
  2. Friz

Friz The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.

Hell we might get it in Ireland now around 2020.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    jazloc

jazloc Über Member

It's in Australia too!

4. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

It's OK, but it's only mapping part of the bridleway near me, and seems to only include "official" sustrans routes.
    I'll stick to bikeroutetoaster

5. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Suppose it is a good thing, but cyclestreets and what it is derived from is a lot better than sustrans' mapping. It's good overall it has happened, but it sounds more like a sustrans propaganda piece reading it.

I had a look where I live and there's virtually nothing on there sadly. In other areas the coverage is much better.

6. OP
    OP
    jazloc

jazloc Über Member

It's still in Beta, I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on/

7. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

I just checked my route home and it included the non-road cycle paths, which impresses me!

8. Night Train

Night Train Maker of Things

I had a quick look and it seems to prefer main roads that I wouldn't cycle on as there are quieter and less traffic filled routes that run parallel.

I have just tried the route from my house to my local Am Dram theatre group.
    The route there is my return route and the route back is my route there. It seems to prefer long steady ascents and short steep descents each way whereas I prefer it the other way around. A mile or two of coasting is better then a mile or two of climbing IMO.

It also doesn't like me crossing the motorway roundabout even though there is a cycle path around it, albeit one I don't use as the road is safer there.

9. ohnovino

ohnovino Large Member

I'll have a little play on that tonight. The route I use to cross the Mersey by Warrington involves using a bus gate, and Google is just about the only mapping company that shows it, so I'm slightly optimistic.

BTW, the latest update to their Android app finally allows you to pick areas and download the maps for offline use - handy if you want to use their maps while out-and-about without using 3G

10. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Great! How to get nowhere whilst taking the longest most convoluted route possible.

subaqua, marinyork and benb like this.
  11. benb

It's had that for several versions in the "Labs" menu. It was very useful when I was cycling in Prague last year.

12. benb

Haha, they're not all as bad as that.

13. MrJamie

MrJamie Oaf on a Bike

It seems good and doesnt stick too much to indirect Sustrans routes from what I can see. On MK>Bedford it follows mostly Sustrans but skips the massive unnecessary detour part. :smile:

I like how it shows the green cycle routes overlay so you can modify the routes quite easily :smile:

I imagine itll still suck for road bikes in places, but then you can probably use the car option and use the roads.

14. ohnovino

ohnovino Large Member

Hmmm. Just tried it for my commute. It found a couple of quiet roads, but then near the end it veered onto a very, very busy road for no obvious reason. The alternate routes were even worse. I'll stick to cyclestreets.

15. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

I've just had a look at my area and put in a small route, so far so good, but later it states “get off bike and cross the road” ??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice