Google Maps Publish restricted access routes - Sustrans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The newish tunnels near Bath wouldn't have happened without Sustrans. I cannot see many councils creating bike routes by themselves, can you?
Cambridge, Norwich, London, plenty of others. Many might not, but many will.

Sustrans have done lots of good stuff but they're being far too conservative on tackling ablism.

You can't compare it with France, etc but then many EU countries have a long tradition of cycling whereas here it's only just become popular.
:laugh: We've been cycling as long as any of them. We just lost our way in the mid/late 20th century. We could catch up if we wanted, instead of letting countries like France (which was almost as bad) pull away from us. France is now building pretty good cycleways at a far faster rate than us, without the obsession of obstructing them. Why aren't we? Why can't we fix what we've got that is trivially farked up with barriers?

OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

Hi People: just an update: I have had no reply from Scope or Sustrans to this point. Which I must say I am disappointed about.

However I also contacted my local MP Yasin Bedford and Kempston and I have to say that Mr Yasin and Pip Sadler in particular have been really supportive. A letter has gone to the MP Jo Johnson Minister of State for Transport and we await the reply.

On a local level i have been put in touch with the local Walking and Cycling Officer and I will raise a couple of points with him.

I have also become aware of a small charity Wheels for Wellbeing and the great work they appear to be doing supporting people with disabilities and cycling- have a look at their website for information

On a personal note I set off on LEJOG on the 6 May - it is getting very close now - beginning to get just a little nervous

OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

Hi well I did indeed set off on the 6 May: I completed the 1123 miles in 50 days. Land’s End to John O Groats

It was a wonderful experience. Will I do it again? What is next? I have no idea.

With regards to the cycle paths: English cycle paths are a nightmare and I did try to use them off and on throughout. The barriers are terrible. At Rugby I got stuck on the canal cycle path and two gentlemen helped me lift my trike over the barrier and up a long flight of stairs. Barriers are restrictive. The cycle paths in the main are unusable for any distance if you are on anything more than a two wheeled bike and are able bodied. In my experience anyway.

You will notice that I did say the English cycle paths were terrible; in Scotland in my experience things were totally the opposite: well sign posted, in the main good surfaces and when there were barriers/restrictions on route an alternative road route was identified and sign posted. Truly wonderful. I crossed the border into Scotland and used the cycle routes to John O Groats.

I will be following up my contact with my MP. Sustrans who have not to this day replied and with Scope. I will put an updated on this site when I have one.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Congratulations, that’s quite an achievement! Shame about the cycle routes and barriers. There’s one I use where I have to lift my bike over on NCN6. And that’s a two-wheeler! A trike would be a nightmare to lift over as the path and barrier and are so narrow.

Well done again.

Top Bottom