Google Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I rode to work this morning using the cycling directions given by Google Maps on my phone, as an experiment for doing the same in France. It took me all over the bloody place, and introduced some rather stupid detours, but I kind of expected that being in London.

The Google Map of the route I want to use in France looks much more straightforward and matches one which somebody's placed up on Ride With GPS so I'm happy to go with it... One thing I did notice today, however, was how much my battery got chewed up for the duration. No way will it last the five or so hours I'll require over La Manche, so... Does anyone have any tips for reducing Google Maps battery consumption?

Switch it off and use a real map?

Use the rwgps app with subscription instead. It costs around £30 pa. You can download the route in advance and use your phone in air plane mode. I also have a charging case which gives me an extra 1.5 phone life and a quadlock directly on the back of the case. I estimate I'd get around 10hours on this setup.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maps is excellent; I use it a lot, just found it absolutely invaluable in Serbia and Hungary for a week driving around. The distance and time prediction is spot on.

A buddy of mine used it to ride from Lancashire down to Cornwall and back for a wedding; he just keyed in the postcode for the night's destination YHA or B&B, put in an earphone, pressed GO and turned off the screen and it worked fine all day, taking him down some really unexpected and nice routes.

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Google services are in beta seemingly perpetually which makes me feel a bit like a guinea pig, particularly when maps sends me across a field and through a tree or two on my 23mm road bike tyres...

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Switch it off and use a real map?
Ha ha ha..!

Bit of a problem; quite a lot of the route is along canal footpath. That's OK, except occasionally you have to swap sides. I don't fancy cycling along, realising I've missed me turn when I end up in some farmer's yard, and having to go back 10 miles to correct it.

Especially if I do it more than once.

I could always take the D-roads, but why bother with traffic when the canal's calling?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Google services are in beta seemingly perpetually which makes me feel a bit like a guinea pig, particularly when maps sends me across a field and through a tree or two on my 23mm road bike tyres...
Took me off road briefly today, through the Harvington Estate in Beckenham.

Luckily I have 32c's on Old Reliable at present. The worst bit was emerging onto the unmade road, which was pitted with potholes the size of shell craters, filled with filthy water.

Tin Pot

Guru
I rode to work this morning using the cycling directions given by Google Maps on my phone, as an experiment for doing the same in France. It took me all over the bloody place, and introduced some rather stupid detours, but I kind of expected that being in London.

The Google Map of the route I want to use in France looks much more straightforward and matches one which somebody's placed up on Ride With GPS so I'm happy to go with it... One thing I did notice today, however, was how much my battery got chewed up for the duration. No way will it last the five or so hours I'll require over La Manche, so... Does anyone have any tips for reducing Google Maps battery consumption?

I tried it several times for commuting across London - in short, I won't use it again.

Plus Map apps up your data costs in Europe like a fire in a cocaine factory.

I still use my phone but I stop to connect and have a look at a route to a waypoint, disconnect, set off, then check again later.

Google maps routes are terrible. I wouldn't rely on them.

Even if it offers you a good route now, maybe it will pick a different route on the day. Definitely lock the route down and save it as a gpx.

I recommend OsmAnd if you are on Android, and if you are traveling and relying on your phone, something like this is invaluable.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The route it planned for me to Dover would have meant me scaling the side of a railway arch, presumably with the bike, loaded panniers and all, on my back.

Google Maps doesn't have a monopoly on unfeasible routes. Cycle.travel, which is based on OpenStreetMap, tried to send me through a gated (closed) private estate in Oxshott on a recent ride (The Warren, if anyone knows it).

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I tried it several times for commuting across London - in short, I won't use it again.

Plus Map apps up your data costs in Europe like a fire in a cocaine factory.

I still use my phone but I stop to connect and have a look at a route to a waypoint, disconnect, set off, then check again later.
I would point out, however, that all changes on June 15th. And I'm going on the 18th^_^

Tesco Mobile told me to enable my data but ensure data roaming is switched off (which it was).

Top Bottom