Google Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I could always take the D-roads, but why bother with traffic when the canal's calling?
Canals and flat straight roads can get boring very quickly. When I did St Malo to Die in 2012, it only really got fun once I'd left the straight D roads behind, and had some lumps and bendy roads to follow. Plus the fun of random villages to go through at regular intervals, and finding bakeries, cafés and restaurants... well, it would have been rude not to.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Switch it off and use a real map?
This.

In France, use the IGN Top100 maps. Lightweight and a sensible scale (1:100k) - you roughly need 1 per day if you're doing a reasonably long distance. And they've got full coverage of canal paths and other traffic-free routes.

@Dec66 - which canal are you aiming for?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
This.

In France, use the IGN Top100 maps. Lightweight and a sensible scale (1:100k) - you roughly need 1 per day if you're doing a reasonably long distance. And they've got full coverage of canal paths and other traffic-free routes.

Not sure what the one out of Calais is, but when I get to Arques I'll be following the Neufosse.

Here's the route from Ride With GPS:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8681332

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Lille-Bo...-Ports-Arras-IGN-Top100-Map-101_9782758529897

That'll do you day 1 and part of day 2, and give you the alternatives if you get bored of the canal or fancy exploring.

It's very different terrain, but this is what the maps look like:
0133729_Sample_IGN_Top100new2010_carto.jpe

Personally I wouldn't rely on electronics alone - we used a combination of a Garmin eTrex and a couple of dozen maps to get us across France. We could have done it on paper alone, but not on electronics alone.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member

I love the TOP100 as 'art' (I've got one framed and hung in the French abode), but these days I find the Départmentale 1:150K series better for cycling, as it's much less cluttered for ease of navigation. https://ignrando.fr/boutique/cartes/cartes-routieres/cartes-departementales-ign.html

Here's a comparison:

DSC03618.20150826blog.jpg

Google maps routes are terrible. I wouldn't rely on them.

Even if it offers you a good route now, maybe it will pick a different route on the day. Definitely lock the route down and save it as a gpx.

I recommend OsmAnd if you are on Android, and if you are traveling and relying on your phone, something like this is invaluable.
Some in lidl at the mo !

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I agree although I'm more of a Michelin fan
I just tore pages out of a 1:200K road atlas for my longer-distance trek. Cheaper too. The paper on IGN is easily torn too - not a patch on OS map paper.

I tend to like a larger scale map when I'm in one area, and I want to get to know its nooks and crannies in more detail - not so much for the navigation, but more to work out detailed topography etc. for the areas I'm riding through. IGN leaves quite a bit to be desired, but then we are really rather spoilt with OS, both for the detail in their data, but also in the clarity of its/their presentation.

I cant get on with road atlas's - luv just being able to unfold the map and see at a glance where im going - for my sins all things being equal and nothing the same im going to ride from St Malo to Basle in a couple of weeks time - three michelins should do it

while I really admire the detailed IGN mapping - yup - OS is the yardstick - clarity is their watchword in all the map series - nonetheless I was was looking at my Greek maps this afternoon and any slight moans I might have about IGN are piffling - if i can find something of IGN standard for that region while im in Stanfords tomorrow I'll be a happy bunny

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I cant get on with road atlas's - luv just being able to unfold the map and see at a glance where im going - for my sins all things being equal and nothing the same im going to ride from St Malo to Basle in a couple of weeks time - three michelins should do it

while I really admire the detailed IGN mapping - yup - OS is the yardstick - clarity is their watchword in all the map series - nonetheless I was was looking at my Greek maps this afternoon and any slight moans I might have about IGN are piffling - if i can find something of IGN standard for that region while im in Stanfords tomorrow I'll be a happy bunny
I hope you have a splendid trip, whatever maps you take. I know what you mean about road atlases - their clarity is a result of considerable omission - but I was travelling seriously light, and the entire route fitted in my back pocket, with room to spare for the fig rolls.

Top Bottom