Google Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CraigLyon

Hi all

Firstly, Happy New Year!

Secondly (and the main point), how accurate is Google maps? The reason being is that I am trying to locate a route from my current location (Wigan) to Gravesend (Kent). Using Google maps, if I select the walking option, it claims it is just over 200 miles. It does sound pretty accurate although before I start to investigate further I thought I would ask whether anyone can recommend any other websites to plan a route.

For info. I will be travelling on a road bike and any canal paths etc. will be completely out of bounds.

TIA

Craig

Terry Kay

I usually use multimaps which is now on www.bing.com/maps though not used for walking..

mcr

Veteran
It's proved pretty accurate in my experience, though there's been the odd occasion where I've tried to drag the route to a road I want to use and it won't accept that it's linked to another road (presumably an error in the vector connections). For UK routing I'd still use it in conjunction with the OS mapping (Google won't find usable bridleways or handy cut-throughs, for instance, though you can check them out on the satellite map for surface etc - there are some suitable for road bikes in my experience), but once you've set up a route it's fun to use the new facility with the Google Earth add-on and 'fly' over the terrain.

lpretro1

You are right guys - I just hadn't cleared the cache on my pc - can see it now - sorry to Op for that!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
www.viamichelin.co.uk

Does a decent job with the bike option.

Top Bottom