Google route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonewalker

Planning my route is becoming painful and I keep falling back to the Google routes and Iv started with lands end to okehamton and I can't see anything wrong with it all roads look ok and it keeps off that A30

As anyone finished the full route just using Google route ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Not answering your question but I've had my first (ever) look at that route.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zTpbO9QKR4eI.kzWdBI01mTu8&hl=en_US

You are planning for 10 maybe 9 days. There is a lot of faffing around trying to follow cycle paths and NCN routes. You will not be able (IMO) to do the distance you need.

I'll restrain myself to Day 1 (and assume 180km).

1) Don't go up to Hayle or wiggle through Camborne. Use the B3280 and B3297 to Redruth.
2) Through Chasewater to Truro.
3) Really cross country and cross grain of valleys and narrow roads 'tween Victoria and St Tudy. Better carry on shadowing new A30 on 'old' line (of A30) to Bodmin and then go north through Blisland.
4) Why does it go to Tintagel? Pick up B3266 to Camelford and then A49/A395 (briefly) to Hallworthy.
5) My preference from there is Warbstow, Maxworthy and North Tamerton to Holsworthy (did this stretch on my Day 1).
6) And finally the google route faffs around Holsworthy to Hatherleigh. I'll wager you'll want to just do the distance after 7+ hours and the A3072 is a great road, gentle undulations, and doesn't carry much traffic, and a great run down to Hatherleigh.

My Day 1 is at the link below. Note the distance and the height climb. Then compare it with the google map route (or others which keep off trunk roads and mostly off A roads). The link to my whole route is on the other 10 Days thread.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10509181

Ajax Bay

Guru
@lonewalker You will need to do 100+ miles a day. Need to avoid (ie minimise) using the type of minor road which is symbolised on the 1:50,000 OS map series with a narrow yellow line (carriageway < 14 feet). These roads can be great but too often they narrow down so a car coming the other way will force a stop or worse and downhills and even on the level unless straightish, cannot be enjoyed at speed because of the risk of meeting other road users, or poor road surface, and/or bends of unknown and unsigned severity. Unlike on the 'wider yellow line' roads (can always get past a car/van on those) you cannot be sure that you will be able to cycle past a car coming the other way: this increases the need for caution and thus reduces speed (which is important unless you want an 'extended' day).

Further observations on 'googleroute' roughly approximating to your Day 2 and first part Day3:
Narrow (as in 'to be avoided narrow') roads nearly all the way from Monkokehampton to Tiverton - quite direct ~ 27 miles. Slow. Many junctions.
On the route the canal towpath east of Tiverton is nice (on it last weekend). Reasonably fast; unclip and care under the many bridges (you're meant to get off and walk).
But once the canal stops - they never completed it; railways came - route follows excruciatingly windy minor road route from Tiverton to Taunton. Miss one NCN sign and you're in deep navigation country.
Canal towpath through, and east, and NE of Taunton is nice and fast but, once off towpath, route up to Bridgwater is easy to get lost on.
Route takes a deliberate choice to go east of Bristol and then N to Gloucester. For me this misses the Severn Bridge (iconic) and the Wye Valley (low road) or Forest of Dean (high road): very pretty and a pity to miss.
So the google route climbs and crosses the Mendips (good if you're looking for a nice climb after 6 hours in the saddle on Day2) but then wiggles maniacally from Chew to Keynsham and around Bristol (it's a cycle route thing: these are set up to keep people going a short distance (who have time) on quiet relatively traffic free roads) all the way to Yate. Later 7 miles on A446 - don't know why it doesn't follow B4060 or B4058.

My Day 2: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4745566

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can't comment on routes but if anyone was following the end of your route, there are loos and a cafe just right near the end of it at Blaise, depending on the next part of your route the next loo would probably be in a pub, or your night's accommodation if stopping near Bristol.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Plenty of opportunity to get lost in Worcester, Kidderminster, Dudley, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Stoke. Edinburgh, Perth. I say this because large towns/cities are easy lose time in because the way is not clear. Though the signed route through Preston is nice (great bridge over the River Ribble on NCN 55).

And looking much further north,
1) North of Perth the route follows the cycle path mostly adjacent to the A9 - mixed reviews (track surface quality and noisy). Then you divert off A9 at Dalwhinnie and:
2) I suggest you research carefully the going on the track across from Laggan/Gergask/junction A86/A889 which follows the Spey upriver/west to Fort Augustus. Looks exciting, over the Corrieyairack Pass 'road'. Maybe someone here can say whether a road bike would be OK.
3) And for the last stretch, from Tain/Dornoch Firth you're on the A9, which is not everyone's preference (there are options via Lairg due north, then east from Tongue or Bettyhill).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont know if this work, but I use Plotaroute

156282?units=km" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="425" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe><p style="margin-top:8px;"><a href="https://www.plotaroute.com/route/156282" target="_blank" title="View this route map on plotaroute.com" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,arial;font-size:11px;">View route map for Lands End To Oakhampton on plotaroute.com</a></p>

Ajax Bay

Guru
What's your point, @steveindenmark ? I find RidewithGPS a rather useful planning tool whence e-files can be exported.
Comments on that first day "https://www.plotaroute.com/route/156282":
Killer stretches along A30 dual carriageway. Conversely a fair few minor wiggly roads and a slow, wiggly cycle path up from Dunmere. I like the Granite Way finish into OKEhampton. Maybe it's two days (in which case, wiggly and minor is fine).

When designing a route, one needs to settle on a philosophy and then do one's best to stick to it.

‘Type of road’ choice: Avoid English trunk roads and dual carriageways completely and mostly avoid English A roads. Avoid using narrow minor roads. Use cyclepaths if they're 'good' and go in right direction.

Urgency of travel: The imperative of route/road choice allowing the necessary (ie planned) rate of progress to be achieved.

Directness: The fastest route may not be a straight line but the greater the distance from the straight line, the longer the route is likely to be in distance.

Climbing: Should the route ‘seek out’ hills for the sake of interesting terrain? If the fastest route between two points is sought, what is Naismith’s rule for cycling? Ie how much extra distance is it worth cycling to avoid, say, 100m climb? Suggest this will depend on the cyclist’s climbing ability and also the weight of load being carried. I worked on 1:25 ie worth doing an extra 2.5km to avoid 100m climb.

Descending: Attractive if downhills are gentle, without tight bends, and not narrow. Steeper downhills waste valuable potential energy without the attractive conversion to the kinetic kind.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ajax Bay.

I have used with RidewithGPS but prefer Plotaroute. It has a lot more functions.

The route I posted was the first it threw out and I did not alter it. You can of course customise it to on road, off road and a whole host of other things.

It is just an alternative planner worth looking at.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thought you were planning a LEJOG this year, @steveindenmark so assumed this might be your first 2 days. Have you plotted any parts of your route? What philosophy are you using?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes we were but we may have a change of plan.

We have decided we want to make a bike Tour and a long motorbike tour this year. We may go to Majorca in the Spring and are looking at making a lighthouse tour. There are 14 registered lighthouses on Majorca and we are planning to visit them all as we ride round the Island.

Our three week motorbike Tour would be in the Summer. Depending on the weather it could be down into France and then right into England, Lejog on a motorbike, back to the ferry in Hull, Holland and back to Denmark. Or France, Spain, hang a left and back home via Italy and Germany.

Top Bottom