Google search not working in Microsoft Edge - any clues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This started in the last week or two, and also maybe affecting Strava???

I can open Google on my desktop PC, running Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. If I type something in the search box and hit enter or the search magnifying glass nothing happens. As I type in the search box auto search suggestions appear but clicking any of them does nothing. If I type the same search in the address bar it does work???

About the same time this started I also began having issues with Strava when opened on the PC in Edge. I can load my home page but if I click on a ride it only displays the summary details and I just get the spinning circle where the map should be loading. Also if I click flyby it opens a new tab but just loads a map of the world and then stops, no ride details load.

In the last few days there has been a big windows update that took a while to complete, but the problem predates that so pretty sure that isn't the problem.

MalWareBytes updated a couple of weeks ago and this may or may not coincide with the problem starting, not entirely sure. I uninstalled MalWareBytes last night but Google still doesn't work.

I can't find anything relevant on the internet. Have any of you techy type people got any ideas?

Mart44

Über Member
Do you have an alternative browser installed to see if that works OK with Google search?

I have tried using Google search on Microsoft Edge and it works OK for me. I have read about a bug regarding this problem (link below) and the recommendation is to wait for an update to the system. The big update already done was probably the one that brings the version number up from 1809 to 1903. There have been a couple of updates since this though and it might be worth checking for updates again. The latest version and build is: 1903 - build 18362.295

Just for information: Microsoft are working on a new Edge browser based on Chromium (same as Google Chrome).

https://appuals.com/fix-google-com-wont-open-on-edge/

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I tried finding the old IE last night but couldn't. Dug a little deeper today and found it at last, it appears Microsoft hide it a little deeper with each upgrade (as well as surreptitiously swapping you from IE to Edge whenever they get a chance! :cursing: I used to swap back originally but gave up resisting in the end.)

Success, Google now works, as does Strava, except the flyby feature still fails to fully load. Now we have established this, what does it mean?

Something I did notice before trying IE....

In Edge, the web address for google is displaying thus -
upload_2019-8-20_10-10-56.png

While in IE it is showing with the extended version (safe search?) and a number which is presumably some kind of session or search i.d? -
upload_2019-8-20_10-10-24.png

si_c

Guru
I'm with @fossyant Edge is a poor browser in it's current form - the next version should be better. I use Firefox - I used to use Chrome but it's getting bloated and awful so FF it is.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll google what this means and maybe give it a go..... :rolleyes:

Click the 3 dots in top right "...", then click settings (scroll down) and there is a Clear Browsing Data - you can get rid of stuff here. Worth a go as some cookies etc. can get out of date and bugger up web sites some times.

tom73

Guru
oh the care free happy days of microsoft how I miss them..... Not
Ditch it firefox is much better all round and as for chrome let's not talk about it. :smile:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

tom73

Guru
I thought that too, until I came across a site that doesn't work at all with Firefox (at least not on the PCs I own). In the end, I had to use an old PC with Internet Explorer (remember that?) and it works fine.

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/Frameset?OpenPage (type a term in the search box and click "Go" - nothing happens). YMMV.

Only worked via IE must be a poor bit of code going on on that site. Since going all mac find safari opens most things. I do have firefox too as a back up though it's rare i get round to using it.

Top Bottom