GoPro Experiment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neiltluck

Regular
Hi All,

Through reading some of the threads on here, it is clear that the subject of bicycle mounted cameras is one of very divided opinions, with some riders loving them and some not so keen.

I have one; a GoPro Hero 4 Silver to be precise. I bought it, not originally for my bike, but because I enjoy photography and thought it would be fun to add to my camera bag on trips out.

After a while though, I started to strap it to my bicycle handlebars on rides out to see what sort of images I could get and of course, to aid in the "what if" scenario that we all dread.

It didn't take long however, for me to get extremely bored of wading through hours of same old, same old footage.

So I started to use my imagination a little, for different ways of mounting the little GoPro to my bike. A few pieces of angled metal, some screws and some heat shrink tubing later and it is mounted from the quick release skewer of my back wheel ready for my Sunday afternoon ride......

......here are a couple of images captured. A little more fun than the handle bar POV I reckon.....

20013081794_67442ebf5c_o.jpg Sunday Afternoon Speed by Neil Luck, on Flickr

20642281761_d3137ab4c7_o.jpg Sunday Speed by Neil Luck, on Flickr

20642279321_c3e4843031_o.jpg Hit The Gas by Neil Luck, on Flickr

20447638980_c34ae29203_o.jpg Nearly At The Top by Neil Luck, on Flickr

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice view of that crack in the frame.

OP
OP
Neiltluck

Neiltluck

Regular
Chains slack!

For fear of hijacking my own thread here, that is an interesting comment, as I thought the same whilst installing originally, but, note the following.....

Compact Chainset (50/34)
11-28 11 speed cassette
Short Cage RD

When I installed the chain originally, I noticed that when in the small ring and top 3 or 4 gears, the chain does seem slack, BUT, I can't remove any links because when in the big ring and the lower end of the cassette, the chain seems quite tight and the RD arm is pulled right forward.

The B Tension is set correctly in top and bottom gears, so that the jockey wheel only just misses the gears. All gears change smoothly and correctly, with only noise (obviously) there, when fully cross chained, (not something I do often I hasten to add!).

Without changing to a longer cage RD, what I have seems to be the best compromise, unless you have any alternative suggestions.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
For fear of hijacking my own thread here, that is an interesting comment, as I thought the same whilst installing originally, but, note the following.....

Compact Chainset (50/34)
11-28 11 speed cassette
Short Cage RD

When I installed the chain originally, I noticed that when in the small ring and top 3 or 4 gears, the chain does seem slack, BUT, I can't remove any links because when in the big ring and the lower end of the cassette, the chain seems quite tight and the RD arm is pulled right forward.

The B Tension is set correctly in top and bottom gears, so that the jockey wheel only just misses the gears. All gears change smoothly and correctly, with only noise (obviously) there, when fully cross chained, (not something I do often I hasten to add!).

Without changing to a longer cage RD, what I have seems to be the best compromise, unless you have any alternative suggestions.
i think you'll find it was a joke, its a common insult to another bike enthusiast.

by the way, keep an eye on the pro, I had mine mounted on the proper GoPro clamp, with a proper mount , on the bars...and the mount sheered from vibration sending my go pro under the wheels of a lorry in Somerset.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like those pictures.

Are they stills from a video, or photos taken automatically at intervals?

In fact, can you get a bar mounted remote control for the camera? I would like to have a camera set up on me or the bike so I could just press a button on the bars to take a picture, to save having to keep stopping and messing about with the camera.

OP
OP
Neiltluck

Neiltluck

Regular
i think you'll find it was a joke, its a common insult to another bike enthusiast.

by the way, keep an eye on the pro, I had mine mounted on the proper GoPro clamp, with a proper mount , on the bars...and the mount sheered from vibration sending my go pro under the wheels of a lorry in Somerset.

Hmmm, clearly I still have much to learn :blush:

I'd still be interested in thoughts on the chain issue though......

Thanks for the heads up on the GoPro mount, I will keep my eye on it. I do have it tethered though, so hopefully that should help if the mount fails.

OP
OP
Neiltluck

Neiltluck

Regular
I like those pictures.

Are they stills from a video, or photos taken automatically at intervals?

In fact, can you get a bar mounted remote control for the camera? I would like to have a camera set up on me or the bike so I could just press a button on the bars to take a picture, to save having to keep stopping and messing about with the camera.

Thank you :okay:.

In this particular instance, they are stills from a video, but I do intend to experiment with the Time Lapse function as well, so watch this space.

Yes, there is a small remote control that you can get for the camera, that can be bar-mounted and takes care of a multitude of functions. In fact, you can use a smartphone to control it as well, when loaded with the relevant "app", although, I doubt that you would want that mounted on your bars.

Top Bottom