Gopro HD Hero help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No point putting this in "know how" as most cam wearers are commutists.

I'm trying to shorten the length of time my GP films for. It's default is to record for about an hour at a time, before starting a new file and continuing.

Thing is, I often only want a few seconds of that hour and downloading an hour of footage takes...well...an hour.

any clues on how to set the cam to film say 15 minute bites.

I thank you.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a work-around. Get a faster SD card reader, and read your cards from that and not through the camera. Then buy QuickTime Pro and you can quickly and easily trim down the footage to the section you want.

The Integral SD card readers are super cheap on eBay, and very fast, 19.5MB/s on my system when copying two at the same time.

Must admit I actually want all my footage, even though it gets deleted after a while.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Must admit I've not bothered to try reading via the camera. Your built-in card reader on your PC might also be slow. There's a reason so many keen photographer/videoographers use these Integral card readers. ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I stop my cameras recording when something happens and then turn them back on after. Helps me note where things are and saves me a lot of time.
I then do what mikey does and trim the video with quicktime.

I'm currently testing an application which will split the videos for you at specific point. All you have to do is put your hand over the camera lens. I'll let you know if it is any good.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I stop my cameras recording when something happens and then turn them back on after. Helps me note where things are and saves me a lot of time.

I'm currently testing an application which will split the videos for you at specific point. All you have to do is put your hand over the camera lens. I'll let you know if it is any good.
I would do the same. Problem is, you cant easily see the red lght or hear the beep to confirm its recording again...so I have to pull over to do that (restart) which is a bummer. Some cams have a tab options that stops and starts immediately so your walkaround may work.

I'd be really interested to know.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Hang on...what-now?, you trim whilst its still on the cam...that may be the solution. didn't know that was possible

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Hang on...what-now?, you trim whilst its still on the cam...that may be the solution. didn't know that was possible
Mike might. I don't..

I copy all the videos across to my hard drive (SSD so super fast). Have a quick gander at the last min of each clip on the camera, trim and re-save what I want. Import them into my editor. Edit them, export them and then upload. Triming them saves so much time when importing the clips. It's all about being as quick as possible so you can get on with other things in life :smile:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I use WindowsMovieMaker (wasn't even aware that Vista had it 'till I got my helmet cam) then add video, 'split' it at the part I want to keep, delete the 'before' part, slpit again after the part I want to keep, and then delete the stuff after it. Very quick, and all done direct from the sd card so it's instant. Then just save it and alacazam hey presto, a short vid, ready for you tube......like this 30 second jobbie,

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCkVk4MAOmk
Where are the clowns? Send in, the clowns.^_^

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mike might. I don't..

I copy all the videos across to my hard drive (SSD so super fast). Have a quick gander at the last min of each clip on the camera, trim and re-save what I want. Import them into my editor. Edit them, export them and then upload. Triming them saves so much time when importing the clips. It's all about being as quick as possible so you can get on with other things in life :smile:
I use WindowsMovieMaker (wasn't even aware that Vista had it 'till I got my helmet cam) then add video, 'split' it at the part I want to keep, delete the 'before' part, slpit again after the part I want to keep, and then delete the stuff after it. Very quick, and all done direct from the sd card so it's instant. Then just save it and alacazam hey presto, a short vid, ready for you tube......like this 30 second jobbie,

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCkVk4MAOmk
Where are the clowns? Send in, the clowns.^_^

thanks guys. its not so much the process of trimming...which I'm ok with... I just thought for a second there that I could trim before I took the footage off of the card...hence saving hours downloading irrelevant data from the SD card...which is sooooo BOOORING!

but I was wrong.

ho hum

I@ll try a direct card read tonight and then ...if that is still naff, I'll invest in one of Mikeys USB-SD readers

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
thanks guys. its not so much the process of trimming...which I'm ok with... I just thought for a second there that I could trim before I took the footage off of the card...hence saving hours downloading irrelevant data from the SD card...which is sooooo BOOORING!

but I was wrong.

ho hum

I@ll try a direct card read tonight and then ...if that is still naff, I'll invest in one of Mikeys USB-SD readers
What you could do is use quicktime pro to trim the file from the card and then save it onto your computer ;)

Top Bottom