Gore Cross Jacket: Anyone got one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a bit of a 'horse' and 'bolted' kinda thread 'cause I already bought it!

I mulled the Altura's but for cycling I wanted the most breathable, so went for GoreTex. The jacket seems well made, lightweight and well cut.

So anyone got one who can give me a run down on its performance?

Tynan

Veteran
oh go on

go out in it and find out

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Tynan said:
oh go on

go out in it and find out

I will: Lots of rain opportunities up here! Let you know next week as I'm just recovering from the lurgy at the mo.

This is it here. Don't know why they got a vagrant to model it though :biggrin:

I paid a tadge more to support my LBS (not much actually once postage is added). That and a pair of gloves has seen off the Xmas money.

Tynan

Veteran
cor, that is pricey, outside my budget for sure

I think he's supposed to be moody but I agree with you, vagrant/student

U

User482

I have an older version of it. It's an excellent jacket - light, breathable and waterproof, but you'll still get condensation when cycling hard. The good thing is that washing and re-treating it works well, unlike some goretex gear I've had in the past.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
User482 said:
The good thing is that washing and re-treating it works well, unlike some goretex gear I've had in the past.

The water repellent coating is more durable than it used to be. It's worth looking after the jacket to maintain it, as once the water stops beading up and the face fabric saturates, the breathability goes to pot and you get pretty wet from condensation/sweat.
Keep clean, washing in something gentle like Nikwax Tech Wash, tumble dry or warm iron after, reproof when washing doesn't revive the repellency.
It helps to keep the jacket in a bag when not in use, rather than just knocking about in a pannier rubbing against stuff.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thanks Andrew, I knew about the care bit, having learnt that through past experience.

I think you're right a little stuff sac is a good idea. I was slightly surprised it didn't come with one. Meant to ask in the shop but it went out my head when I was picking my gloves.

User482 - did you get the hood with yours and do you use it?

Tynan

Veteran
'Keep clean, washing in something gentle like Nikwax Tech Wash, tumble dry or warm iron after, reproof when washing doesn't revive the repellency.
It helps to keep the jacket in a bag when not in use, rather than just knocking about in a pannier rubbing against stuff.'

who has time for that, bloody hell

Tynan

Veteran
never had a posh one, got an ancient cheap pertex one that's ok and a new nightvision that's good but hot right from day one

OP
OP
C

Crackle

This is an old thread but I thought I'd update it even though they don't make the Cross anymore it's been superseded, Fusion looks quite similar. I do hope they've improved it though.

Mine is light, good fit and looks great. It also packs down pretty well into a back pocket. After extended use of mine, it goes everywhere, I have found a few faults with it. The first and most significant is, it leaks. I know, not good but perhaps not as bad as you might think. Any driven rain from the right, quickly penetrated behind the flap and through the zip and your neck and chest gets wet fairly quickly.

However in such extended periods of rain, especially in a UK summer, you will get wet through sweating anyway. I have never found a jacket capable of coping with cycling and the Gore is no exception. So after a while, what you are after is a jacket that keeps you warm, almost like a wet suit and the baselayer becomes quite important in that scenario. One advantage of the Gore is that when you stop you can turn the jacket inside out and dry it with some tissue, in a cafe for instance and it's ready to go.

Mine is ready for a re-proof now and it's important to do that and after 4 years it's still in excellent condition. It's excellent in winter just as a warm layer, keep the freezing wind off but in rain, well I'm afraid it fails but in it's defence, I've never found a lightweight jacket that doesn't.

Top Bottom