Got a bike.. Now for a 5.5 mile commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
My post just vanished - I'll try again!

I use these panniers but had to replace the elasticated hook things. They're available from several online shops and often on ebay.

I used the tyres you bought and found them excellent. 850 miles no punct***s, but then the vandals slashed them while the bike was parked. B******s.

NigC

Davidc said:
My post just vanished - I'll try again!

I use these panniers but had to replace the elasticated hook things. They're available from several online shops and often on ebay.

I used the tyres you bought and found them excellent. 850 miles no punct***s, but then the vandals slashed them while the bike was parked. B******s.

Weird - I read your post before it vaished, so I can vouch for the fact it was there! :smile:

Anyway, please excuse my ignorace, I've been thinking about replacing my backpack with panniers and these look pretty good value. But I assume these need to attach to an additional frame - is it a simple case of buying any frame and any bags and it's all hunky dory and everything fits together, or are there any pannier/frame compatibility issues?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Congrats, Hornet75, you'll enjoy it! :smile:

It has major health benefits, too. When I resumed cycling about 1.5 years ago after several years off, my commute was roughly the same distance, and my weight dropped from a pudgy 105kg to 80kg in just over 6 months, and it's stayed on 80kg since. So it doesn't take large distances to have a benefit.

Two things you could do are (a) make yourself as visible as possible (lights, bright clothes) and (:rofl: practise vehicular cycling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_cycling). The latter may take some getting used to, but it's a way of making yourself more visible to motorists and sharing the road with them.

Please note: I'm not suggesting you practice vehicular cycling on that busy single-carriageway you mentioned; I'll leave suggestions on how to handle that to the locals who know this stretch of road.

Regards,

--- Victor.

Top Bottom