Got a bike.. Now for a 5.5 mile commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hornet75

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I bought a cheap bike off amazon as I am trying to cut travel costs down for my commute to work. I currently have a 95 mile round trip by car from Leighton buzzard to daventry. I am going to take the train up to rugby and it's then a 5.5 mile ride into my office. Is it reasonable for me to expect to be able to do this at both ends of the day and roughly how long will it take me? I have read other threads and I am reckoning on about 40 minutes. Most of it is town and suburban roads but there is about one mile of busy a428 which is single carriage way and quite fast traffic. I am a bit nervous and more so after this weeks news of a cyclist killed in my home town! Any advise or views would be welcome!

brokenbetty

Über Member
40 minutes should easily be enough - my commute is 6 miles in starty-stoppy London traffic and that takes me about 40 minutes. And doing it at both ends of the day is going to be fine - I started from couch-potato level and didn't find it a problem at all.

Although if it's not a route you've walked/driven before it's worth giving yourself a bit of extra time for the first day or so in case you make any wrong turns.

OP
OP
H

Hornet75

I did a "reccy" in the car yesterday and roughly know the route although also printed off map from google just in case. There a couple of steepish hills that worry me a bit but I won't let it put me off- I can always get off and push! I will be commuting by train with the bike - to rugby- so hopefully no restrictions on the train! - then I have 50 mins til I am due into the office. Think I will hive it a go in the morning and see how I get on.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
best route from rugby station to dav...

rugtodav.jpg

i do it most days, around 6.20 to 7.00am and then back again at 4.30pm . any other route is a waste of time and effort, Ive tried them all.

the last bit of main road is not to bad, the other roads are real nice and quiet.

it's this the route you had planed ??

PS: can you not get off at long buckby ???

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi Hornet and :biggrin:

I think you will find 40 minutes to be ample time to arrive pretty fresh faced. Some might suggest it would be acheivable in half that time but remeber, you are only just starting out so take it easy or you will soon loose interest.

I would say also that you should find it possible (easy) to maintain this trip every day of the week...a 10 mile daily ride is very good excercise and very manageable (in my opinion).

Good luck, perhaps try looking at sites like bikehike to help plan a "flatter route" if the hills worry you, I did and extended my route by a fraction to gain a flatter more manageable route.

www.bikehike.co.uk

track a route then click on elevation on the right to get a view of the climb's and drops of the route....helpfull stuff.

Also, as many people are turning to riding as a way to dramatically reduce cost and get fit (especially during these warmer months) it may be a good idea to pick up some "city riding" skills, there are some really basic rules that can literally save lives...you will find many books on the subject, but dont be afraid to ask on here, some of us can offer really helpful riding advice, that maybe you can pass onto the next new rider yourself someday.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome Hornet75. You really won't have any trouble at all. Probably best to allow loads of time on the first day, and see how it goes. After that "calibration", you will get a feel for what is realistic and enjoyable.

Best wishes, and have fun.

chap

Veteran
Good luck in your commute. It sounds do-able, then again we do not know the topology of your route, so best trial it.

However, I would recommend that you find an alternative to the A-road, unless it has safe provisions for cycling; I personally am not a fan of them since the attitude of many drivers on A-roads is usually even more that of selfish entitlement than on a motor-way.

Safety first, have fun.

OP
OP
H

Hornet75

It's DIRFt!!

Thanks for the advice... It's actually. DIrFT I am cycling to so rugby is easiest and closest station. Via hillmorton and then a428

jig-sore said:
best route from rugby station to dav...

rugtodav.jpg

i do it most days, around 6.20 to 7.00am and then back again at 4.30pm . any other route is a waste of time and effort, Ive tried them all.

the last bit of main road is not to bad, the other roads are real nice and quiet.

it's this the route you had planed ??

PS: can you not get off at long buckby ???

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
yeah, i was thinking about that and kinda figured that 5.5miles would get you to Dirft not daventry.

you can either go along hillmorton road or lower hillmorton road, lower hillmorton road has a load of speed bumps but less trafic. i would sugest this route on the return trip

i would be very carefull at the main roundabouts in rugby on the return trip.

i would be happy to show you loads of alternative routes but it helps to know the area.

unfortunatly you have to go up to come back down again, but murry road is the best route up.

i cant see how you can avoid the a428 at the end

your main chalenge will be the wind at this time of year.

let me know how you get on, plot your route at bikehike and post the image and we may be able to tweak things for you.

what times of day will you be on the road, as this makes a big difference to the amount of traffic.

karan733

Welcome and good luck dude. Ive just started communting about 4.5 miles each way for the past week or two. Keep at it - it only gets easier! :biggrin:

Alan Whicker

Hi Hornet.

If your bike came with knobbly tyres you might want to consider changing them for smoother 'road' tyres. It makes an unbelievable difference.

Good luck - I bet you'll love it!

Top Bottom